Find
Notify
Tools

New Jim Bridger bio by Jason Enzler
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted
Good read, fascinating life story. The real deal of wiley pioneer mountain men who can sniff out injuns grizzlies and beaver. Also a nice background history of the times. Immigration, Mormons, Indians, fur trade, exploration etc. First rendezvous in 1825 they hauled back to St Louis over 8k lb. of dry beaver pelts. Over 4 ton!! Worth around $50k. Give her a look.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for tip.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks Tomahawker. I read widely in the fur trade literature 40 years ago, and never thought I would see a new Bridger biography.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished it, through my local library. An excellent read! Thanks for the tip as I do love the history of our country at that time.

Wes

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I too, like Bill, have been an avid reader of the fur trade and rendezvous era for many years. I have also been privileged to participate in many rendezvous re-enactments and have a full-on kit of mountain man items, including a beautiful scrimshawed black powder powder horn showing the locations of most of the western rendezvous during that era, an authentic beaver bag made from a full-on tanned beaver hide with tail on, a beautiful capote made from an original Hudson Bay 6 point blanket, a full grizzly bear necklace,and the list goes on and on. I also have a number of autographed books from retired BYU Professor Fred R. Gowans, who was considered one of the definitive experts on the mountain men and grizzly bear of the rendezvous era. This new book on Jim Bridger certainly peaks my interest again in the mountain man era. I will definitely look into it. I see a book listed on Amazon on Jim Bridger by Jerry (not Jason) Enzler. I would suppose that that is the book that has been referenced.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Ron devious reenactments can be great fun. My old saddle maker buddy, Leo Naumann was into them in a major way + talked me into attending one. It was a hoot! He + his wife set up their tepee + there were ax throwing contests, shooting, trading post activities, + a tracking exercise. The folks really got into it!

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed! A few years back, I was given a large, well-worn blue and white chevron trade bead at a rendezvous that the trader said was over 200 years old. I had caught a couple of young kids that had stolen some clay pipes from his trader's row display, and as a gesture of thanks, he gave me that large chevron trade bead. It is now centered, in a prominent position, in one of my mountain man necklaces. Big Grin Loved shooting my black powder rifles, throwing my knives and axes, throwing the beaver stick(lance), starting fire with flint and steel or with the old time brass magnifying glass, trading, etc. etc. So much damn fun! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time I saw Leo was at "pain management clinic" that my wife had to go to just to get her meds (just one more crock of shit.) There , But then again is way too much wrong with the new system

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Yes it’s Jerry Enzler. Not sure how I came up with Jason.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My copy of the book was delivered and I have now read it in its entirety. Good read with footnotes and references on nearly every statement. Makes me more appreciative of Jim Bridger, his life and his struggles, as well as his contributions to the West and to the United States of America in general. Big Grin