Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with an Old, signed book?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hope this is the place to post this.

History - purchased the book from a gentleman in Alaska several years ago. Believe it came from Mr. Petrov's collection as the person I bought it from was selling many items from the estate.

Book - The American Rifle by Townsend Whelen

Inscription in the book is to A.O. Neider from Col. Whelen and dated 1918.

I purchased it because I am a fan of both gentlemen and having something that has passed through both their hands (not to mention Mr. Petrov's) would be a wonderful add to my gun room collection.

It turns out, it just sits in the bookcase, no one has seen it and I am afraid of damaging it.

With something like this, should it be sold to a collector that will display it, given to a museum (if there is one that would accept and appreciate it), or ??? If it is to be sold, how do you even price it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have a Keith Rifles for Large Game that was signed by his son.

I gave it to a friend that was interested in it.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Signed books are a treasure, + can be a valuable one after the signer is dead. Yours sounds like a keeper for a collector. Unfortunately, there is really no guide book to establish values, it truly is what the market will bear. That being said, considering the date + who signed it to whom; if it were me I wouldn't start at less than $1000.00, + I might be way off at that. If you do sell it pleae keep us posted on the details. That is one way to know what is happening with values.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I sold a NIB, never been read, Numbered edition, autographed copy of O'Connors Game in the Desert. Derrydale press. For a $1,000 to someone in Sweden, I believe. I have reproduced copies of it, and have read them. Why mess with the old ones. But if you have it and it's been read, and you'll take care not to abuse it, read it first. It's worth what someone will pay for it.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote