New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harry Selby PH?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone written a book about this legendary PH?

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe Coogan is suppose to be editing or finishing Harry Selby’s memoirefor Safari Press now, but we were told that when Mr. Selby died.

He wrote a fowars for Safari Press’s most recent special edition of Horn of the Hunter.

Posts: 10759 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have the complete book by Harry himself.

He sent it to me before he passed away.

I have no idea if he passed the same thing to others.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see Harry Selby's memoirs unedited...

Probably will never happen, but it would be interesting.

Congratulations, Saeed on being well thought of enough by one of the greatest PH's to get a copy!

Unfortunately, lots of the things he saw we will never see again.

Posts: 10558 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Very nice Saeed,that is truly a treasure.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good news indeed! That there exists a copy of a book he approved of.So tell us Saeed, did you enjoy the book?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given that there does exist an approved copy of Harry Selbys adventures, will all be published for others to enjoy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
X2; perhaps Safari Press?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any new info on this? I'll bet it is a great read. Too late for a signed copy. I'll just have to be satisfied with the reprint that Safari Press did on a limited run of "Horn Of The Hunter" that Harry wrote the new forward + signed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly no bio on Harry Selby was ever published. About 25 plus years ago an author was hired by a group of wealthy hunters and sent to Bots to interview Harry. This he apparently did but then the tapes got lost! I chased this project up 16 ways form Sunday but no cigar. I personally went to HS twice to discuss a book at length but I could not get him to enthusiastic. He was always very cautious about saying something non-politically correct about his Kenya days and even seemed reticent to say much of anything about Botswana. He did write a number of stories for Magnum and a few other magazine but not nearly enough for a book. So the best you can do is find one of those signed limited edns of Horn of the Hunter as was suggested on this forum. It has a wealth of new information but I do not want to pretend it is a bio.

Posts: 51 | Location: California | Registered: 12 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wurfbain, thanks for your response. Even though not a Harry anthology I still recommend people to buy the Horn Of The Hunter just because it is a signed copy (Of which we will never see again) + besides its just a damned good book. Too many great works have vanished over the years in the same fashion. Got thrown away, private collector, who knows. Well, we have what we have. As to the P.C. comment if you are interested I will be glad to tell you the coining of the term.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I want for Christmas is a copy of the Harry Selby memoirs book. Yes, I know this may be a bit to ask for. But, I can hope.
Merry Christmas to all on this forum. MTG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my stack of Sports Afield, I have an article written by Harry Shelby where he and his brother in Northern Kenya hunted a group of bulls that were carrying 100 pounds a side.

The article is called the “Millionaires Herd.”

His brother insisted they fire on one bull together, so instead of bagging four. They brought down 2.

Posts: 10759 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was at a discount store here (MD) Ollies, which carries a lot of books and there was the 2019 Gun Digest. I bought it to read and ship out to George ,in Colorado. After looking at the custom guns, engraved, etc. was scrolling along and "lo and behold" an article on Harry Selby by Joe Coogan. So if anyone wants something written recently, there it is. Good write up on Harry's life. So if you can get a copy of GD 2019, especially now at discount price, the article is great and runs 6 pages.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote