Find
Notify
Tools

A Splendid Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
I just finished the biograhy of the adventerous life og Fredrick Russell Burnhan (1861-1947) who in his lifetime was friends + aquanyices with the Earp brothers, Generals Crook + Miles, Cecil Rhodes, Robert Baden -Powell, Frederick Selous, Lords Roberts + Kitchener, Buffalo Bill,Winston Churchill,H. Rider Haggard, + too many more to name, as well as his experiences from the Earp's in Tombstone to his scouting for the army for finding Geronimo + the Apaches to going to Africa + fighting in the Matabele wars, the boer war + other insurrections. A fascinating life well lived;I recommend the book highly. Oh + BTW, he published his autobiography in 1926 titled "Scouting On 2 Continents". In 1958 Ernest Heminway bought the film rights intensding to wrirte the screen play for his friend Gary Cooper but died before doing so.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look the book up on Amazon, you can read a good taste through the Look Inside teaser.

Posts: 10782 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet it is a teaser. The book is one that is hard to put down. I read it in two sittings. Makes me want to look or "Scouting On 2 Continents."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I found Scouting on 2 Continents online here:

[URL=http://www.thedump.scoutscan.com/scouting2cont.pdf]http://www.thedump.scoutscan.com/scouting2cont.pdf[/URL

Nice to have books like this downloaded to my tablet for reading while I'm traveling.

Posts: 674 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Hannay, I'm still a dinosaur that does not use a cell phone or tablet or anything else like that. It took me a while to get accustomed to the computer. When I moved here we were still using crank telephones + the rotary models. A bit behind the times I will agree but I would not give for the experience, just because. Along with that same school of thought, I still prefer a REAL hardbound book, I find it has a soul. I suppose one would have to be an old school bibliophile to think this, but here we are. But I'm sure that is convenient when traveling. Thanks for the lead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first african hunting/adventure book was " HUnter" by J A HUnter. My second book was "Scouting on two continents" which I read in danish. This is over 25 years ago. From there things has escalated in the book dept..:LOL

"Scouting on two continents" is one of the best books ever which keep the reader glued-to-the-pages. Whatta an incredible life Burnham lived. Still unequaled..

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He certainly did lead a full life + was associated with a lot of interesting people.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In some places it would be said that Burnham had big cojones, seriously big.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote