Find
Notify
Tools

"Ruark Remembered," By Alan Ritchie
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I am about half-way through this biography of Robert Ruark, and find it fascinating. I read "Use Enough Gun" back in junior high when I inadvertently "bought it" from the Outdoor Life Book Club, and I have of course read many of the "Old Man and the Boy" stories as most of us have. There's a copy of "Something of Value" in my overflowing In box.
But I had missed out on his post-war years as one of America's best-read journalists and columnists. Hell, I was born in 1953, the year Bob and Ginny moved to Spain.
Anyway, Ruark wrote as hard and fast as he drank, which is saying quite a lot, and this warts-and-all remembrance by the Englishman who was his personal secretary the last 12 years of his short life fleshes out a complicated, driven man with a tremendous talent with words, viz:
"A hyena's giggle is date night in the female ward of a madhouse."
The only complaint I have about the book is that it is poorly copy-edited, rather a shock when the subject is one of America's better writers of the past century.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need to read this, but it sounds disappointing. Love Ruark's work. Have read it all.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I agree that the book is poorly edited. I corresponded with Casada in advance of this book and really looked forward to it but when I got a copy in my hands I was sorely disappointed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a copy. The stories are there, but the story teller is sadly lacking...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unimpressed as well. Not a good piece of work. I like some of Ruark's writing, but not all of it. Too much Hemingway "wanna be" in it for me. This piece on him is more of a money grab than a good book.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read everything he ever wrote and I'm a complete fan. "Something of Value" is perhaps the greatest novel ever written. I do have some criticism of "Uhuru" although I like the book. It could lose a few chapters, the story would lose nothing, and the book would be better.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Something of Value" is perhaps the greatest novel ever written

That's high praise, but not sure it warrants it.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
My favourite writer ,loved SOMETHING OF VALUE and UHURU .They are the best novels i ever read . .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree. If it is not the greatest novel written,it's pretty damned close.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In terms of style, I think only Hemingway can compare, but I don't think "Green Hills" is as good as Ruark's work; certainly not "True at First Light", but Hemingway didn't finalize that one. Clearly, Hemingway's earlier works are probably better. Hemingway is another of my favorites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Papa was the original;although Bob's reference to the past in his eyes was a treasure. Gentlemen, Judge apples for apples.Papa was good in his trade as was Bob. End of story.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely correct. You cannot compare authors any more than you can compare children. They are great in their own right, in their own way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought and read this book, enjoyed it, and thought it was well worth the time. There is not another perspective like Alan's.

I am 1/2 way through Something of Value and it's purely amazing.

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I envy you your 1st read of "Something Of Value". Uhuro is good but not quite so as this, imop. BTW I have a copy of "the old man + the boy" on the nightstand that I read before bed (for the millionth time)