Find
Notify
Tools

Flashman
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
For those of you who have not read George Macdonald Fraser's "Flashman" series, I give you envy for a wonderous new ride. The perfect rogue who just happens to be EVERYWHERE that anything is happening during Victoria's reign. Since GMF passed in 2008 there have been numerous spin offs by other authors but none so good as his.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NC I agree with you in full. Flashy was a wonderful cad. Have read them all at least twice over the years. Will need to look into these spin offs although bound to lead to disappointment....V.D.

Posts: 16 | Location: Lakeway Texas | Registered: 25 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love the Flashman series, even enjoy the notes at the end of each with references to Fraser's meticulous historical research.

My daughter got one book (Flashman and the Tiger) autographed for me while she was visiting the Isle of Man some years ago, where Fraser lived at the time.

Fraser's account of his WW II war service in Burma, "Quartered Safe Out Here" is a superb memoir, one of the best accounts of the war as experienced by a young private (later corporal).

Norman Conquest, good on you for mentioning the series. Or as the Flash cove might say, thankee and damn your eyes.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, anything G. M. Fraser wrote is worth reading. Flashman series is great, non-fiction such as The Steel Bonnets (English/Scotish history) also great.

If you want to read a truly funny book, try The Pyrates. Think Errol Flynn sort of piracy.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave.I think one of my favourite lines was from "Flashman at the Charge"when he awakes from a drunken slumber in the armoir to find Lord Cardigan about to pounce on Elspeth with his britches about his ankles. His comment was,"And there was the randy old rip,prancing about + sporting his beef." I have all of his books + really enjoyed "Quartered Safe Out Here". The MacAuslan books are a scream as well. The spin offs I speak of are 3 volumes by Robert Brightwell concerning Harry's uncle who is with Wellington in India +the peninsular.The one I'm reading now is "Flashman + the Knights Of the Sky". WW1,Harry's grandson (son) is a pilot on the western front. Not the same but a fun read nontheless.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the funniest lines was in "Flashman and the Dragon". Background for those who haven't read it, in the story Flashman was a captive and sex slave of Yehanola, who would later be Empress of China. Flashman says of her:

"She fulfilled, you see, four of the five conditions necessary for what may be called the Australian Ideal - she was an immensely rich, stunningly beautiful, highly-skilled professional amorist with the sexual appetite of a pagan priestess; she did not own a public house."

For the benefit of non-Brits/Aussies, a public house is a drinking establishment roughly equivalent to a bar in America.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything written by Fraser is worth reading and then reading again. I particularly agree with his view of our "Post modern" world.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For anyone who has only read Flashman go to Amazon + find a wealth of literature under Frasers nom de guerre.Blessed reading!!!!