Find
Notify
Tools

Gen. Paul Von Lettow-Vorbeck
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
His autobiography is out now in a first edition English copy.Originally in the German "Mein Leben" is now "My Life" + listed in the current Safari Press catalog.I already ordered mine.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Outstanding choice Randy. I read a sketch of his African campaign some time back and was very impressed. The moreso after finding this nugget in the Wiki entry on Von Lettow-Vorbeck:

Between May 1928 and July 1930, the former General served as a Reichstag deputy for the monarchist German National People's Party. He intensely "distrusted Hitler and his movement,"[46] and approached his relative Hans-Jürgen von Blumenthal with an idea to form a coalition with the Stahlhelm against the Nazis. This resulted in the Vorbeck-Blumenthal Pact. Later, when Hitler offered him the ambassadorship to the Court of St. James's in 1935, he "declined with frigid hauteur."[48] During the 1960s, Charles Miller asked the nephew of a Schutztruppe officer, "I understand that von Lettow told Hitler to go fuck himself." The nephew responded, "That's right, except that I don't think he put it that politely."[49]

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wanted to read that, till I checked the price tag. Big Grin A very interesting and unusual man. Actually will have to reconsider, about 150. less than I found on Amazon .

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_...=von+vorbeck+my+life
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz, now 50 bucks from Safari looks better,eh? Regardless though,you owe it to yourself to read this book. Best,Randy

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's in the stack. Probably going with me to Tanzania in October, unless I've read it already. WWI in East Africa is probably the most interesting place and time in history.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For EVERYONE concerned,this is the 1st edition in English + it is limited to 500 copies. I have mine;you should as well. Great reading + an other access to history.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently reading Miller's book, Battle for the Bundu, I'll finish that and take "My Life" to Tanzania next month.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, that sounds like something Emil would say. I went to the Brandenburg gates solely to see where he returned as the only undefeated German officer of WWI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would like more info on the Von Blumenthals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finished the book. A great read. Seems that pursuant to Meinershagenes' request, Hitler offered Emil the opportunity be the ambassador to the UK for Germany. The story goes that Emil told Hitler to "fuck himself". A witness confirmed generally that summarized "Von Lettow's " response , but it was "not nearly so polite. "

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy you enjoyed my friend. What a wonderful life + great missive. On a personal note however since I have sons;the fact that he lost his boys in WW2 negated any joy of his victories in WW1.Thank God for his daughters. I would have found that a very rough experience,but then I am not him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't want to take "My Life" on a trip to East Africa. So, I'll read it when I return.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I simply have to read this.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, It seems I have an extra copy. My wife bought me one for Christmas as she knew I would love the book.

I made the mistake of telling her I already had a copy and she said it was impossible because this was the first edition in English. This conversation took place in front of one of my bookshelves and I turned and handed her a copy of the book, still wrapped in cellophane.

Point being, I think I have an extra copy coming.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, if in fact you do I would be happy take the spare off your hands for what you have in it.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Wasn't what I would call a page turner.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I'll keep you posted. My wife is on vacation.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gracias, amigo.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,you should enjoy it.The history is valuable.No it is not a page turner,this is real + as some know that in a real battle sense that there may be 3 moments of action + 5 months of just slogging along.Remember that he was the ONLY German General in WW1 that was not defeated by the Allies. Enjoy,Randy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check with my wife on the status of that book, but you need to read Battle for the Bundu, by Miller. I haven't read "My Life" yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Emil was the only undefeated German General in WWI. Hitler offered him a post, and his response was profane by all accounts. He lost two sons in WWII. Hell of a man. I'd like to have a beer with him in the next life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we can share a table.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman, I'd be honored, but we can do that before then!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Sorry to take so long to get back with you. Yes, we still have two brand new copies of My Life, still in the wrappers. If you want one for what I've got in it, I'll be glad to ship it to you. I think it was around $50. The shipping I'd have eaten anyway. Send me a pm with your e-mail address and shipping address and I'll send you the invoice as to what I paid.

If you aren't interested, the extra copy is going back to Safari Press.

Just a warning. I haven't read this book, but I did start another book by Emil and had to put it down. It was a bit tedious.