Find
Notify
Tools

HUD
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
The title of the movie in the early 60's based on the book "Horseman pass By" by Larry McMurtry.An all star cast;Paul Newman,Brandon DeWilde,Particia Neil,+ Melvyn Douglas (who won an Oscar for this pic.).Reminiscent of my childhood in Wichita Falls,Paul Newman does a great womanizing villian + the scenes all just still smell of 1950's North Texas.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Larry McMurtry lives within 1/4 mile of me. I've never met him, but I certainly would like to shake his hand one day.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True story this.His son is James Mcmurtry,an Austin musician.The main record store in Austin (Waterloo records) is right across the street from the ultimate book store in Austin (book people).One evening when they do a record release waterloo will do an open house + serve free beer. I was there along with two of my lady friends from the book store.We do a series of book clubs. Anyway my friend Sharee sees Larry in the crowd + calls him out with a grand hello;Larry screamed + took off to the back offices;he is very anti social.I can understand that to a point but not to a phobia.Anyway,we now tease Sharee for scaring Larry away.Bill, I wish you luck on your handshake but if it does'nt happen,you now have a potential reason why not.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's an incredibly good movie, Randy. Good gosh, Wichita Falls. What did you think of "The Last Picture Show"?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a well done movie. Especially in regards to someone who grew up there + could absolutely FEEL+ smell north Texas + the Red River country again.Frankly it was so intense to me that some scenes were quite painful in reminiscence.