Find
Notify
Tools

Robin Hood
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
Yes, of course, we have all read the variations of books + movies but I wanted to know if everyone had seen the article in the latest "Sportsmans Classics" about the great longbow hunter + exhibitionist, Howard Hill. I knew of him vaguely in the past but this article put a lot together. He was the guy who REALLY split Errol Flynn's arrow. Yeah, he really did. Also shooting dimes, etc. out of the air, apples, prunes, + almost cranberries off the heads of audience volunteers. He proved elephant kills with a longbow. All in all a great story of his life, worth reading.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Also in this issue is the article, "Hemingway's Last Hunt". Good reading + of course some great pics.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you NC. I will pick it up. I saw one of those black and white pseudo documentaries where Howard Hill goes bill fishing with a bow.

Posts: 10781 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Howard Hill also appears in the Errol Flynn version of Robin Hood. If you want to read more about Hill pick up the book "Hunting the hard way".

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Craig Ekin, who has been building the Howard Hill bows for a very long time now, wrote Howard’s biography, The Man and The Legend. It’s a must read for Hill fans. Much of that Sporting Classics article is taken from that book. Ekin is a very nice fellow. He was kind enough to sign my copy back in 1994.