New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Hunter's Hunter by Robin Hurt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

I just picked this up at the DSC convention this past week and had Mr. Hurt sign it.

So far it is a fantastic read but I want to warn you about one thing. This thing is a coffee table masquerading as a book. It is 12" by 15" and nearly 2" thick and weighs in at 10.4 pounds. Be prepared for extra shipping costs or go to SCI in Reno and pick it up in person.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1848 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I bet it’s a great book.

Did they use glossy paper for the text pages?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I bet it’s a great book.

Did they use glossy paper for the text pages?

Yes and their are tons of high quality photos.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1848 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I saw a pic of Robin signing one...huge!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a good Chance that the Book will be sold out before the SCI Show.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last I heard there were only 65 copies left. If it isn't sold out by SCI-Reno then it will be soon thereafter. I believer there were only 550 in total printed and some were leather bound and much more expensive. I believe the more expensive ones are already gone. I am up to page 105 and it is well written and filled with easy to read stories. Last night I finished Derek Hurt's story on how he got chewed up by a leopard. The photos of his injuries are very graphic. So far Robin and Derek are the only father / son team of PHs that have both been badly chewed on by Chui.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Shit you boys got me. Hell I bought one.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a beautiful book, but a bit big to read easily.

I’m only into the 4th chapter.

Posts: 10574 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
It is a beautiful book, but a bit big to read easily.

I’m only into the 4th chapter.

Agreed. I put a pillow on my lap to help hold it up while reading.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I love to read. I read big books, little books, hardback books, soft back books, electronic books, novels, nonfiction, etc. Whoever’s idea it was to make this book so damn large and unwieldy should be forced to hold a copy over their head for two hours. The book’s size makes it virtually unreadable comfortably. Cool book but when a book is prettier to look at on a table than read, something is wrong.

Mike

Posts: 21191 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does make the photos more impressive!

Posts: 10574 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately safari book publishers don’t have a great reputation for book design, and often the very few that do don’t have a great reputation for tight editing. I absolutely love Months of the Sun, but the glossy text pages have too much glare and add too much weight to the book. Every time I look at it I’m afraid of ripping a page. Can’t imagine this one.

There’s a reason Capstick’s books still stand up over the years. Major publishers have access to great designers.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . just for giggles. Book weighs 10.3 pounds and measures 12” x 15”.

Eeker

Mike

Posts: 21191 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
So far it is a fantastic read but I want to warn you about one thing. This thing is a coffee table masquerading as a book. It is 12" by 15" and nearly 2" thick and weighs in at 10.4 pounds. Be prepared for extra shipping costs or go to SCI in Reno and pick it up in person.

Yep...as I said, it's a real coffee table book. Just add legs. Truly struggling to find a bookshelf to hold it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:

Yep...as I said, it's a real coffee table book. Just add legs. Truly struggling to find a bookshelf to hold it.

Tere was a great episode of Seinfeld where Kramer invents a coffee table book that has fold-out legs...hilarious...

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
WOW! Just received and Brobdingnagian comes to mind. However, it’s fantastic! Charge me over $200 for a book and it better be dam good, big, colorful and unexpected. Kudos to Robin Hurt. How else do you sum up a lifetime of personalities, experience, and adventure? Make it big, make it big like our dreams of Africa.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote