THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    The Impossible Life of Africa’s Greatest Explorer. By Tim Jeal

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Impossible Life of Africa’s Greatest Explorer. By Tim Jeal
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
Saeed's post that quoted Stanley reminded me of reading the Tim Jeal's biography of Stanley about ten years ago. What stood out to me was how detailed Jeal's book was and how exhaustive his reasearch was. The author left no stone unturned.

Earlier Jeal wrote a biography of Livingston that painted a more realistic picture of the the missionary who history has painted a saint.

Conversely, Jeal's biography of Stanley shows him in a much more complete, and sympathetic, light than the heavy-handed colonial thug that history has told us he was.

I was blown away by the readability of this tome. And in my mind it setteled the question of who is Africa's greatest explorer once and for all.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an interesting read. I imagine it had an exhaustive section on Tippu Tib. From what I have read Stanley couldn’t have done what he did without Tib.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I imagine it had an exhaustive section on Tippu Tib. From what I have read Stanley couldn’t have done what he did without Tib.

Yes, there was quite a bit about Tib. I had read about him in quite a few other books but this was the first time he felt like a real person.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I imagine it had an exhaustive section on Tippu Tib. From what I have read Stanley couldn’t have done what he did without Tib.

Yes, there was quite a bit about Tib. I had read about him in quite a few other books but this was the first time he felt like a real person.

Then I must check it out.

Am just finishing up The Last Slave Market by Alistair Hazell. If nothing else, it shows you how complicated a time the British had in shutting down the Zanzibar slave market. Centers around John Kirk ( who was with Stanley a bit) and many of the local leaders on the island. Worth a read.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Stanley’s life pre Africa is incredible. The book is aptly titled.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote