New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three Day Blow
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The weather dropped into the 30s today, we got hard, cold dribbling wind with 2 inches of rain today.

I just finished a Rob Roy while reading, “Three Day Blow”. This is my favorite Hemmingway short story.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Keep the fire going in the mantle + pour another + make a night out of good literature. Now if that had been Papa, he could have said that in half the words + relayed a larger point.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Burn wood , drink whiskey , read well

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Toddy with Weller Special Reserve, fireplace, and “A Clean and Well Lit Place”

Toddy Recipe:

2 oz Weller,
Juice of half a lemon,
Table spoon of honey with comb,
6 oz of hot water.
Toddy Mug heated with boiling water(discard water when building drink)
Build in mug stir briskly after tipping with boiling water.

Garnish with a lemon wheel studded with cloves.

Posts: 10839 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A clean well lit place indeed. If not for the faulty "service?" of UPS I could be joining you now in a toast + an evening of great rereadings of what those of us consider "good literature". Aw cutting the crap, we love Hems work because he was there + wrote of what he KNEW, not supposition. Obviously, although I revere his style I am in no way able to emulate it. Case in point as you may already know, during the Paris years he discussed with Fitzgerald about who could write the shortest short story. I don't know about F. Scott but Hemingway wrote, "For sale, baby shoes, never worn."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not know that story. Thanks for sharing.

If one wants, brandy can be substantiated for Bourbon in the above. I prefer Bourbon. Both good drinks though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A question here. About a year or so ago I saw a made for TV movie about Hemingway + Gellhorn in the Spanish Civil War starring Clive Owen + Nicole Kidman respectively. Also had Robert Duval as the Communist Comisar. It was a great flick + very well done, including the freeze frames of pictures that we are familiar with. Problem is that I can not remember the name of the show. I was telling an old buddy of mine about it (another Papa aficionado) but for the life of me, I could not remember the title. Any help appreciated. Oh my friend Vance, as well as liking Hemingway, also thinks Nicole Kidman hung the moon so I had to tell him what I saw on the cover of one of the tabloids when you check out of the grocery store. This was at the time of Tom Cruise + Nicole Kidman's divorce + the headline read "Size really does matter Nicole tells Tiny Tom." Serious query on the show, a bit of levity at the end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hemingway & Gillhorn is the name of it,

HBO did it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Amigo. I sent my buddy an email with the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I sent you a P.M. BTW, since you have ill thoughts about HBO you might want to consider boycotting Bank Of America as well. Really.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time Warner just bought HBO. I did not have problem with HBO until the cancelled HBO World Championship Boxing.

That was what really made me hate them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, we all certainly have our own pet peeves. Mine is in a large part is the destruction of the English language propagated in large part via the media. Case in point; the term 'decimate'. The media uses it regularly when they mean devastate. The term decimate comes from the Latin division by 10. IS. When the Romans encountered rebellious factions that would not surrender, they would kill one in ten of the enemy in retribution. Petty, I guess but words either mean something or they don't.

One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
I listen to the In Our Time audio book narrated by Frank Marcopolos on YouTube a fair amount when going to bed. 3 day is one of my favorites (after a nice fire and libation or two).

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote