New
Find
Notify
Tools

texas ranger book
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i inherited a book MY SIX YEARS WITH THE TEXAS RANGERS by JAMES B. GILLETT. he wrote an inscription on the inside "to my old ranger comrad Captain Pat Dolan with sincere good wishes" J.B.Gillet Oct 18th 1922
was just wondering if it has any historical value or interest. has my grandmothers name written above all that dated 1987

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, for heaven's sake hang onto that!
I have an ex-library copy in my little Texas bookshelf section.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i called the texas ranger museum in waco yesterday, asked if the book had any historical value to it. was thinking about donating it to them. lady said we don't give out estimates. told her no, i wanted to see if it has HISTORICAL VALUE. she transferred me to the person who would know that. left a message on her answering machine. no call back yet. screw em, i'll keep it.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I would. Some folks will ride a free horse to death. I had an old buddy of mine who was a plumber + in the 60s was repiping a hotel in San Angelo + a wrapped up bunch of rads dropped from the ceiling. It was a nickel Colt detective spl. fully engraved w/ ivory grips. Long story short. It was owned by a gambler named Curly Stiles in the depression era who ran a gambling + prostitution ring. They got busted by the Texas Rangers + Curly was kept in that hotel as he had T.B. + couldn't put in in the tank. His pistol was never found until discovered it. Seems they were doing some remodeling in the hotel at that time. The same story, he tried to donate to the Ranger Museum but all the paperwork they wanted just caused him to say, "Fxxk it" + kept it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote