posted
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3529571335&category=1126

If i hadn't just shelled out for a holiday I'd have put a bid on this [Frown]

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another "Bell", THE WANDERINGS OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER by W. D. M. Bell

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3528295630&category=1126

Posts: 156 | Location: Gray, Tennessee | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
These books are very similar, Karamojo Safari recounts a particular hunt also covered in Wanderings. Bell Of Africa is Townsend Whelan's compilation of Bell's notes and autobiography which was published posthumously. All 3 books great reading.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I'm getting into this "book part" of the forum a bit late from the last post; however, my wife got me the 6 disk CD collection of "Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter" by W.D.M. Bell this year for Christmas. I just listened to the entire collection on a long road trip. It is an excellent book that reveals more about the country he hunted and the man himself without all the "bravado" one has to endure by many "self subscribed heroes" of "superhuman" feats and "model photo poses" most books present. While he doesn't seem to attempt to make light of his many "risky" circumstances he found himself in, he is quite "humorous" regarding some of those "close calls" that were "life threatening". His knowledge of elephant anatomy and how to employ his "weapons of choice" is very interesting, if not "enlightening" regardless of what you shoot. While he is credited with shooting over 1000 elephants, his "tally" is well over 1500. I'd highly recommend the CD's for anyone wanting to "spice up" there long boring drives or flights. (I've got the book on its way, which should compliment the CD's with his illustrations and "notes".)

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote