New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got Some Gems Today
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up some winners from the Hindman auction in Chicago.

4 Nash Buckingham Derrydale Limited Editions from the 30s: De Shootinest Gent'man, Mark Right!, Ole Miss, Blood Lines.

5 Burton Spiller Derrydales: Grouse Feathers, 2 copies of More Grouse Feathers,Thoroghbred, Firelight.

A Presentation copy of Horace Lytle's "Point! A Book About Bird Dogs

A Russell Annabel "Tales of a Big Game Guide" Derrydale from 1938

Then there are 5 with the bookplate of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor:

"Southward Ho!" by Deakins (The Prince of Wales wrote the preface).

"Something New Out of Africa" by E. Howard-Williams

"Game Animals of the Sudan" by H.C. Brocklehurst, inscribed ""To H.R.H. The Prince of Wales, in remembrance of his visit to the Sudan in March and April 1930. From the author."

"Frontiers of Enchantment" by W.R Leigh, inscribed "To His Royal Highness The Duke of Windsor with the sincere good wishes of W. R. Leigh. May 2. 1939.", has signed presentation letter tipped in.

These two nicely frame the period before and after he was (briefly) King Edward VIII.

Lastly, a First Edition of "Sport and Travel in East Africa" edited by Chalmers, taken from the safari diaries of the Prince of Wales' safaris in 1928 and 1930. The '28 safari was with Denys Finch-Hatton and Donald Ker.

I have no idea what his personal copy of the book about his safaris is worth, nor how to figure it out.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9445 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True treasure.

Which is your favorite?

Posts: 10660 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
True treasure.

Which is your favorite?

His copy of "Sport and Travel" probably has the widest range of what it might bring, just depending on who wants it. Those 5 may end up at Holt's.

The Spiller and Buckinghams are the best of the 14 Derrydales.

I only buy books to (eventually) resell, I enjoy the hunt of finding them where they don't belong (like these were) as much as anything. An auction with 459 Lots, 5 had anything to do with hunting and they threw the 14 Derrydale limited editions into a single lot.

Posts: 9445 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nash Buckingham + Russell Annabelle. It's always a boon to find hidden treasures in old books. My ex liked to go to antique shops where she looked at furniture + glassware + I looked at books. Found some damn fine bargains over the years as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice catch.

I don`t have any of the old Derrydales....perhaps one day a few should be added.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
Nice catch.

I don`t have any of the old Derrydales....perhaps one day a few should be added.

I know somebody who has a few Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got these in, turns out the Duke's books don't have bookplates, rather they have labels inside the front cover identifying them as being in the Sotheby's auction of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's property from September 11-19, 1997.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 5 that belonged to Edward VIII are on the way to Holt's.