THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOOKS AND VIDEOS of INTEREST FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Books And Videos Of Interest    "Hell, I'm Still Here! Fifty Years a Gunwriter

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Hell, I'm Still Here! Fifty Years a Gunwriter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted
“Hell, I’m Still Here! – Fifty Years a Gunwriter” by Jon R. Sundra

I bought this book on a whim as part of the Safari Press summer sale – it arrived Wednesday and I finished it over the course of three evenings. Based on the caricature on the cover and the title being a funny riff on Elmer Keith’s autobiography title, I was expecting it to be very light, jokey reading but I was pleasantly surprised. The book is humorous, but it is also a very well-written account of the author’s life as a gun writer focusing on hunting rifles. It includes quite a few hunting stories taking place in Africa and elsewhere around the world –taking the last legal but non-importable jaguar in Mexico, ibex in Kyrgyzstan and rusa stag in New Caledonia. A number of the early chapters cover some of the famous gun writers - O’Connor, Keith, Askins, Milek, Jordan.

I also found the account of his career, interspersed throughout the book, to be quite interesting – how he got started and built up his career, how the industry worked with industry-sponsored hunts, and how he ended up as a gun company PR consultant. His career spanned what was likely the golden age of gun/hunting magazines – that is during and after the rise of specialty magazines and before social media. I’m sure that world has completely changed now!

In any case, I found it an enjoyable read and recommend it.

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote