New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari, by Elmer Keith...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just finished re-reading it, for probably the 300th time. It is an even better read once you have made that first trip to Africa. His license and tags for the Big Five, plus Kudu and Sable and bait antelope was just over $700!! 1957 dollars. Forty-days with John Lawrence.

He was one of the last greatest shooters.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I had the pleasure of meeting an older gentleman who hunted both Kenya and Tanganyika (Tanzania) circa 1950. He told me the general bag license was "about" $500 and included two elephant, two buffalo, one lion, one hippo, one leopard, and 2 or 3 each of various plains game. The daily rate was $35. Clients were allowed to shoot all safari camp meat as well as meat for the various villages the outfit passed through.

Anybody know what the Roosevelts paid for their safari?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in that era, you'll enjoy reading this free online book here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...john-mccutcheon.html by John T McCutcheon. He was on safari at the same time and met them..... it's a great little read.

Regarding EK, I haven't read that one but will make a point of doing so...... I have read 'Hell I Was There' and really enjoyed it. I've never forgotten how he had to reset his own broken nose with two pencils and some tape!

That man was a seriously tough guy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
About 1981 I ordered copy of Safari directly from Elmer. I sent him a check and four days later I got a big envelope in the mail, hand addressed by him. The book was signed and as I thumbed through it, he had hand edited certain parts with corrected information. I think I paid the princely sum of $15.00 delivered.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Mike that was the deal of the century!

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was it Mike. I sat on his "Davenport" while he corrected mine and one for my brother. He practically read it to me out loud as he went, and talked about the trip. I would love to have that three hours or so on a camcorder.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all three of Elmer's Books, Safari, Shotguns By Keith and Hell I was there, All signed and autographed to me by Elmer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three copies of safari and alot of Extra copisesa of all of Elmer Keiths books.Send me an email at dgr416@yahoo.com if your intereed

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "Have Hell I Was There" that Iv'e read a dozen times and a first edition/first issue "Big Game Rifles",1936 and Wolf Publishings re-issue of " Rifles for large Game" 1946.
What a Life!!

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Safari Press has ever tried to acquire the rights to Keith's books. Copies of "Safari" are expensive and hard to come by.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
I wonder if Safari Press has ever tried to acquire the rights to Keith's books. Copies of "Safari" are expensive and hard to come by.

I have wondered the same thing. At some point the copyright will expire I would think.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I inquired several years ago about the reprinting of SAFARI and was told that the estate of Truman Fowler owned the rights and that the family was not interested in letting the book get reprinted. It might have changed by now, but who knows.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that sucks...

It is just a fascinating read by someone who was there over half a century ago.

Rich

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's a few copies here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...frica-authors-k.html but they ain't cheap.

Probably a good investment though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Elmers "Safari" aswell...

I have the book because it fits into my bookcollection. Taking the book for a guide..no way.
I enjoy Elmers writings/advices on "sixguns", but on rifles...naaaa Smiler.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote