New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meinertzhagen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm currently reading "The Meinertzhagen Mystery: The Life and Legend of a Colossal Fraud," by Brian Garfield, who wrote the foreword to "My Life", Von Lettow Vorbeck's autobiography. Anyone read it?

The colonial period in Africa, and especially the Great War, have always held a particular fascination for me. Garfield's argument is compelling. Perhaps because it focuses on two things that always bothered me: 1) if Meinertzhagen was so great an intelligence officer, why couldn't the Brits, who outnumbered the Germans 20:1 in East Africa even find them, let alone defeat them?; and 2) the multiple inquiries and investigations concerning the Laibon's death, along with 20+ of his men, at Ket Parak Hill. Why, once Meinertzhagen was cleared the first time, did they keep digging it up? Something must have smelled, even at the time. Garfield's theory seems plausible.

I need to get Meinertzhagen's diaries. Anyone know a source?

Posts: 9993 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I don't but if you find reference please post;I would be interested as well. Along the same lines I have waited to stay alive for (among other reasons) to see the court releases on the trial of Mata Hari who was shot in 1917 + the court records sealed for 100 years.That just sounds like too much interesting reading. Most likely though,pretty bland stuff concerning generals we never heard about. I would like to see it though.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman,

Any word on a source for those court records? Sounds interesting to me too.

Posts: 9993 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca,I have heard nothing in the press or news. I am very interested in this but have nothing to report. If you hear of anything PLEASE contact me.Thanks,Randy

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

You might find this interesting on the topic of Mata Hari - she was framed.....

https://www.cia.gov/library/re...5R000100120015-5.pdf

https://leslievandermerwesafaris.co.za/

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting.

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Interesting Facebook page with lots of photos and some articles on the German Schitztruppe in SWA and of course the East African wars - take a look at the General Paul von Lettow Vorbeck Page. Nothing about Meinertzhagen as yet but same time and era and same wars he fought in.

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you think of Garfield's book when you finish it, Lavaca. I tried to read that piece of garbage that Capstick was working on when he died, and gave it up in disgust.
Randy, I had forgotten all about Mata HAri and the closed records.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,try to find a copy of the movie "The Lighthorsemen".It is the story about the last mounted cavalry charge in WW1 by the Aussies against the turks in Palestine. The final cavalry charge is worth the cost of the movie. Meinertzhagen is featured in there as well but never named. It is a very good true movie.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I have it and I have seen it about as many times as I have "Quigley Down Under." One of the finest cavalry charges ever filmed -- and of course Meinertzhagen comes out like a genius.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That says it all. I need to get a new copy in DVD as mine is still in VHS + I don't have that machine anymore.Off + on the subject,the Paramount theatre on Congress Ave. downtown Austin is starting their 'summer series' of movies.Beau Ceuo of classics,opening night doing Casablanca + then more + the next week doing Lawrence Of Arabia,ad infinitum through out the summer.(Don't tell anyone though;too damn many people here as it is)

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Bill,try to find a copy of the movie "The Lighthorsemen".It is the story about the last mounted cavalry charge in WW1 by the Aussies against the turks in Palestine. The final cavalry charge is worth the cost of the movie. Meinertzhagen is featured in there as well but never named. It is a very good true movie.

I have tried to find a copy of the Lighthorsemen in the USA for some time, so far no luck. If any if you do find a source please post it.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Amazon or Movies Unlimited.It's worth the search.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On You Tube

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pulled up Amazon.They have several copies for sale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Courgaz,hope you ordered your copy;you will love it. As a basis of how many times I watch a movie,it is very slightly below Quigley Down Under.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yes I just ordered it off Amazon. Thanks for letting me know. I looked several times in the past but always came up blank.
tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Laibon's death
the Nandis hated him and activelly helped the germans ,as an ex infatry officer in the argentine army i saw many of this psycopath stereotypes in the intelligence communitie ,the never attended a military school and pretend to be great warriors .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume you are speaking of members of the BIS?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as Nadi and Richard Meinertzhagen are concerned the newest Bell Book, Reminisces of an Elephant Hunter.has a whole chapter on Bell and his perceptions on British involvement with the Nandi.

The killing of the Laibon Koital Arap Samoei is annotated on pages 292-295. Richard Meinertzhagen’s ineptitude is contrasted to an Administrator identified as P. P is identified a man named Partington (no other info really given about him).

Posts: 10767 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I read Warrior of PHC and other articles and even written an article about him for Magnum magazine .
I agree with my camarad the nandis strongly hated him ,so they cheated him and helped the germans .
Cheers Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True,the Argentions were neutral in wars 1 + 2 until 3 weeks before the latter.Then they declared war on Germany.Good timing. The scuttling Of the Graf Spee at the port in Mondevideo in 1939 was a major black eye for the 1000 year reich.