New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hemingway`s Guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is one of the finest weapon books i have ever come a cross .

It tell of the various rifles, pistols, shotguns, and where they were used, who had owned them before in some cases. Which persons he gave it too, and lot else. It also tells of the shotgun he used to commit suicide with, and that chapter is a sad, albeit, it is good portrayed with respect . It also have a detail of the Thompson gun,.22 LR pistols, his favorite Winchester 12 ga shotgun, and his doubles, a Chapter is for the Mannlicher rifles, and for other brands also.

Then it is the puzzling page about his missing and stolen .30-06 Springfield, where can it be now ?

http://www.amazon.com/Hemingwa...ingway/dp/0892727209

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm glad for your sake that you enjoyed it.Myself,I found it quite bland. I am a Papa officienato so I bought the book when it came out.There are some great pics + stories but all in all I was not impressed as I felt I should be. Of course,that is just me.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
A great Hemingway book that I am currently reading is Hemingway's Boat by Hendrickson. Well researched and written. A biography that is written around Hemingway and his boat, Pilar. Interesting book.

Mike

Posts: 21172 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Hemingway's boat is n interesting read. Hendrickson goes a bit too far in some directions in my opinion. Be interested to hear your comments when you finish

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I thought Hemingways Guns was good. Their comment that basically he had good guns but was not a gun nut I think was accurate. He would not peruse AR.

One thing I've always had a good laugh at is the WR. I think he liked it as much as he did Martha.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Hemingway's boat is n interesting read. Hendrickson goes a bit too far in some directions in my opinion. Be interested to hear your comments when you finish

Overall I thought it was pretty good. He clearly focuses on the intersection of the lives of certain specific people with Hemingway, those he was able to interview at length. I generally knew about Hemingway's life but did not realize, among other things, that (1) his father, two of his siblings in adition to himself committed suicide (and a niece as well), (2) his youngest son was a transvestite, and (3) he was such a dedicated and committed fisherman. I thought some of his suggestions, like that Hemingway perhaps had latent desires like GiGi, might have pushing the envelop a bit. It is one of those books that when you are done reading it, you are already looking for other books on the same subject to learn a bit more.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I have a number of books on Hemingway, including "Hemingway's Guns." I thought it was interesting enough, but for some reason, a little disappointing--I'm not quite sure what it lacked.

I haven't read "Hemingway's Boat" but based on comments here, I'll get a copy. I wonder if one can see his boat, now that Cuba is more or less open?

Probably the best biography of Hemingway that I've found is "Hemingway: A Life Without Consequences," by James R. Mellow. It's been out a long time (Mellow died in 1997) and is pretty comprehensive--I especially liked the depth Mellow went into concerning Hemingway's relationships with other Lost Generation writers, poets and artists. I hadn't realized he and F. Scott Fitzgerald were so close, and then such bitter rivals.

[URL= ]

Another "fun" little book is "Hemingway's Key West," a guide to all of the places in Key West that Hemingway influenced. It's just a paperback tour guide, really, but it does have some interesting information, including material on Hemingway in Bimini and Cuba. It's kinda of personal, too; my wife and I were married in Key West and go back there every so often. Whenever we're there we always visit the Hemingway House and other Hemingway sites.

[URL= ]

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1544 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
He was close to a lot of folks that he ended up alienating . . . Gertrude Stein was another. Apparently his brother has a line in his book, "He loved everything up to a certain point, and then nothing was any good any more."

Yes, I understand the boat is on display at Finca Vigia and has been restored.

Pilar

Mike

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
According to Mellow, Hemingway liked people (Stein, Fitzgerald, Dos Passos) until they became "competitors," and (in his perception) challenged his place at the top of the literary heap.

I like Hemingway as an author, and of course as a big game hunter, but in all honesty, he was probably a real SOB as a person. At least three of his ex-wives and a bunch of his contemporaries would likely agree.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1544 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Seems as if he could be a charmer and just as easily be a turd. Some of the stuff he wrote to his publishers, and even his children, is amazing. Interesting character for sure.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear he liked to go watch Che Guevera execute enemies of the state for fun and relaxation. He was a complicated guy. Wish I had his Beretta SO3.

Hemmingway's Guns was ok but not great.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have a long list of sportsmen I would like to do something outdoors with . . . like spending a couple of days fishing for marlin in the Gulf Stream with Papa, or sharing a campfire with Jim Corbett, going on an elephant hunt with Bror Blixen, etc.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Seems as if he could be a charmer and just as easily be a turd. Some of the stuff he wrote to his publishers, and even his children, is amazing. Interesting character for sure.

Hemingway has always been an inspirational figure to me. Lived life on his terms, regardless of what one might say about him. He was loud and proud and spoke his mind freely, developing adversaries as easily as life long friends because of his forthrightness and candid outlook on life and other people......Kinda reminds me of Trump.....

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Inspirational and interesting are two very different things. Hard for me to regard someone that deals with issues by blowing off the top of their head as inspirational.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Mike,
My uncle Roger blew a hole in his heart and is one of the most influential people (still) in my life and everyone who knew him. Do not confuse mental illness with a decision about how to "deal with things." That is a reductive and disappointing comment.

But you did identify a major flaw (in my opinion) about the book. That Hemingway was a tortured gay/transvestite, etc. Hendrickson is drawing a very tenuous connection between Greg and Hemingway on this. There is an interview with Hendrickson on MPR where he (not directly) touches on why Hemingway said what he did to Greg - albeit in a very tangential way. It's worth a listen.

Joe: I will call 100% bullshit on whatever source said Hemingway watched Che execute people. Hemingway abhorred the violence of the late Batista and Castro regimes. The only reason he supported (initially, like lots of Cubans) the Castro regime is the opressive nature and violence of the dying Batista regime. When he left Cuba, he never went back. Doesn't sound like a Che chum to me.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Mike,
My uncle Roger blew a hole in his heart and is one of the most influential people (still) in my life and everyone who knew him. Do not confuse mental illness with a decision about how do "deal with things." That is a reductive and disappointing comment.

But it did identify a major flaw (in my opinion) about the book. That Hemingway was a tortured gay/transvestite, etc. Hendrickson is drawing a very tenuous connection between Greg and Heningway on this.

Joe: I will call 100% bullahit on whatever source said Hemingway watched Che execute people. Hemingway abhorred the violence of the late Batista and Castro regimes. The only reason he supported (initially, like lots of Cubans) the Castro regime is the opressive nature and violence of the dying Batista regime. When he left Cuba, he never went back. Doesn't sound like a Che chum to me.

My comment was directed solely at Hemingway. No doubt about it, suicide is tragic, I feel for anyone that gets to the point where they feel that is the only viable option for them. There is also no doubt it impacts all those around them. I find it hard, however, to view the totality of Hemingway's life as something inspirational. Great writer but someone deeply flawed in a variety of other ways.

I did feel that Hendrickson's illusions to the possibility that Hemingway was a latent transvestite and shared that tendency with his son was a stretch. Unfortunately biographers, particularly someone writing in an area already well covered, struggle to find something new and unique to bring to the table. Hendrickson's reasoning felt like a reach to me and a search to make his work relevant.

Sorry for your loss and the confusion about my comment.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the source and there is more about Hemingway watching Che's firing squad..

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09...e-sipping-daiquiris/

I am truly not trying to spread discontent. I liked his writings as well. We all have our faults.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Not buying it. Sounds romantic, no? Papa sitting there sipping a daiquiri (what else? Did Che make it?) watching people get murdered. Yes, the very people he loved while living there, the very people who he hated to see mistreated by Batista.

Story seems just a little too fanciful for me.

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Got the book for Christmas. Just finished it earlier this week.

I am not an expert on Hemingway, but found the book interesting.

Some good history about the gun manufacturers that I did not know previously.

Also interesting on how Hemingway interacted with folks.

Also helped me understand some of the character issues in Green Hills of Africa.

I would say it is worth the money my wife spent on it.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite articles of his in his book "Byline',which is a collection of his newspaper columns done in the 20's.He + several other reporters had gone to interview Mussolini when he came to power. The other reporters all commented upon when entering the room Il Duce was looking at a book so intensely that he did'nt even notice them enter the room;surely the man must be a genius. Hemingway wrote in his column,"Well I walked behind him + saw that it was an American/Italian translation dictionary....held upside down. The man is a fool;+ if I am taken out tomorrow + shot I will die knowing I was shot by a fool."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I KNOW A WOMAN THAT GREW DOWN THE STREET FROM PAPA IN KEY WEST AND HER MOTHER MADE HER CROSS THE STREET TO WALK TO SCHOOL FROM THAT OLE DRUNK I HAPPEN TO BE A SPRINGFIELD COLLECTOR BECAUSE OF PAPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Updated book is out now, Volum 2 . Amd more guns ar on the lookout for . A Husqvarna bolt rifle,rich engraved, but that is all info known about it. A picture fromaGuns magazine late 50s is all picture around. No caliber or sr number is known.

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the book it now seems to established that his "final weapon"was a Boss S/S 12.Mary ordered it destroyed. Good thought actually as we know about collectors of the macabre. Seems that the burial place in the desert of the pieces is under Adam West's house.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
In the book it now seems to established that his "final weapon"was a Boss S/S 12.Mary ordered it destroyed. Good thought actually as we know about collectors of the macabre. Seems that the burial place in the desert of the pieces is under Adam West's house.

Not a Boss. It was the WC Scott pigeon gun.