New
Find
Notify
Tools

Francotte 12 bore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked this up today. It is a 20E, 12 bore proofed for 2 1/2 shell.

Great shotgun guys. I love Francottes. This is my second one. The first is a KnockAbout that was reproofed in Birmingham to 2 3/4. It has been my dove gun the last two years.

This new gun is a tasteful sideplate gun with good engraving, case color on the plates is almost rose gold in appearance. Only Belgium proof marks. Proofed for smokeless/Nitro.

The gun has no import stamp (either VLD or A and F).

28 inch barrels chocked full and improved. Of course, she bears double triggers. She is dressed up with double ivory beads on the concave rib. She finishes with a third hidden crossbolt and Prince of Wales hand.

I love the petite Prince of Wales hand on both of these guns; just lovely.

This is my first 2 1/2 inch gun. I will be honest. I need all the lead and speed in the air I can get. So, I do not expect to hit much. However, I love these Francottes. I had a good week at work, got a price I asked for, and Minister of Finance and Fun said yes.

Any suggestions on names? I want something feminine.

I have ordered 250 rounds from RST of 1 1/16 oz 2 1/2 cartridges. This gun to me is really a 16 gauge. I will employ her as such.

If anyone wants pics, pm me your email or IPhone number.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go shoot a bunch of clay pigeons, I think you will be surprised. I think very few birds are missed for lack of shot in the pattern. As an experiment I loaded up a bunch of 2" 12 ga. shells with 1/2 oz of #8 shot, just to see if I could. I took it out to the trap with no great expectations and found, much to my surprise, I smoked the birds about as well as I can with anything. A lot of perfect scores have been shot with the .410 and 1/2 oz shot. If your gun is a light one you may find you do better with 3/4-7/8 oz of shot. Recoil is not your friend.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got notice the ammo will be here by the weekend. Praise the Almighty and pass the clay pegion.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I am not sure what a pegion is, but the Brits have been shooting 2 1/2 inch shells for a long time. Don't know whether they still do. International skeet is shot with 7/8 oz. of shot as I recollect, and I shoot skeet with 28ga. more often than not, with .410 being the alternative. Cheaper!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A clay pigeon is the full, old fashion name for a clay. Oh! I see.

The ammo came today. My friend from Grad School working on a Literature PhD is coming in from Ohio for his birthday. We will shot shotguns, clean guns, and then drink port.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
then drink port.

Sandeman's I hope!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sandeman’s 20 year Tawny and Dow’s 10 year Tawny.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a Great weekend. We had New York Strip steaks smoked over pecan wood. We each shot a string of 75 clays. I broke maybe 40. The “little 12” is a joy. We were using an automated thrower from an elevated stand. Clays were let go at random without call. You can really tell the 2 3/4 inch Francotte is a “bigger” 12 when the two are standing near each other in the rack.

One throw, after a few high and going away that I handled well, I changed positions. They lowered the arc and sent one about 5 feet off the ground and dead flat. I stood there looking around at the ski. So, everyone got laughed at.

RST makes a good shotgun cartridge. We had no miss fires. I did not expect it.

One bottle of 20 year Sandeman’s gone, and an emptied bottle of rain water merderia

I will not see my frind and his family for another year. He had never shot a double gun before. We got a great laugh at him pulling the front trigger twice.

Dove season is not until September.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a good time. Double triggers are not easy to get used to.
Peter.