New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old chokes, new shells....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Forgive me is this subject has been discussed here before, it not the easiest search criteria.

My question is, with fixed chokes in older SXS shotguns (1930’s) does the use of modern shot shells, such as RST, react differently with the old choke description? Say you have a 16g with a barrel marked modified, would it still pattern as modified on average or would the new shells pattern tighter like an improved modified? Or vice versa.

Yes, know that I could get out the paper and manually pattern them but that is just not happening right now…..trying not to reinvent the wheel here.

Posts: 48 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older guns will "usually" pattern a little tighter with shells loaded with plastic wads that have wad shotcups.

I don't know that the RST shells are completely modern style (as I have not used them- if I want odd stuff I load my own) If they are old style no-shotcup loads then they will pattern as per spec.

Posts: 10477 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RST makes a range of cartridges. Some are paper with felt was and cardboard over the shot

Some are plastic with hull, with plastic wads, but cardboard lightly crimped over the shot.

If you have questions call them. RST is very helpful.

Posts: 10588 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
RST is wonderful. Burnt paper is where it’s at

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only way to really know is to shoot some patterns. There are just too many variables.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
RST also makes "spreader loads". My per-war Purdey is choked M/F, but with the spreader loads it patterns more like IC/M. It is a great way to go for preserve birds.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
The only way to really know is to shoot some patterns. There are just too many variables.
C.G.B.

About the only true way to know

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote