THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Any info on Miroku Model 500 s/s?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any info on Miroku Model 500 s/s?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I today looked at very nice Miroku 12/70 side by side shotgun and decided to buy it. It is in pretty nice condition and price was right. Little wear on the stock lacquer and some minor nicks on the bluing but the mechanism was very tight and the gun felt really good in my hand.

Tried to find some kind of Miroku shotgun time line in web but was unsuccessful. Anybody know how to date it? When were they made? How to figure out or measure what chokes it has?

All info is appreciated, thank you.

Posts: 29 | Location: Nordic | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mirokus sold in the U.S. were mostly marketed under the Charles Daly brand during the 60's and 70's. You might do a search and find some info listed under Charles Daly. By the way, they were very highly regarded guns.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Nice find. The Browning BSS is made by miroku and is basically the same gun. The Miroku marked guns usually had 2 triggers and extractors which I prefer over the single trigger ejector version on the BSS. There should be some markings on the bottom side of the barrels near the receiver indicating the choke. Generally speaking the 28" guns will be modified and full, and the 26" guns will be IC and modified, but that's not always true.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I bought it and here it is right from the store. After taking the photos I throughly cleaned it. It seems to have the same serial number everywhere so I believe its original. It has a 28" barrels.

I am planning to remove the lacquer from the stock and give it a good oil finish.

I have done some searching in the net but didn't find much info on C. Daly sxs either.

More images:
Open
From side
Text on top of barrel
Side view
Barrell markings

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,
Nice gun! It's the first one I've seen that was color case hardened. There is not much (any?) documentation on these SxS's. They are fairly stout and IMO are the basis for a good target SxS.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is an article on Miroku at this url that is a interesting read http://www.clayshootingusa.com/readers/archive/may_jun0...0Best%20Gunmaker.pdf

I picked up a 12ga. 3" F/F Daly 500 about 8 months ago and its been a joy to own and shoot. Bought it from the original owner who purchased it in 1964. Had the right barrel opened to .02 to help me out!

Great find.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, nice article. Not much info to be found in the net.

My barrel says IMP and FC. Is that improved cylinder and full choke?

Do you have any idea when they stopped making Model 500's? Is it likely that mine is also made in 60's?

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I would say that it is definitly Improved cylinder and full, based on those stamps. I'd be real tempted to have that full opened up to modified or light modified.

Here's a short extract from a Chuck Hawks Article re the same gun as imported by charles daly:

"An equally well made double (and one of my personal favorites) was the basic Charles Daly Field Grade SxS, also made in Japan by Miroku in 12 and 20 gauge. This solid little boxlock gun had a blued receiver with minimal engraving, double triggers, plain extractors, a checkered walnut stock and beavertail forearm. Higher grades were also available with fancier wood and more extensive engraving. When I bought one of the Field Grade guns in used but like new condition, I was stunned to discover that this basic grade gun appeared to be constructed with chopper lump barrels and featured a "swamped" English style rib. It was a very neat and lively gun to shoot. A Charles Daly Field Grade SxS is a fine used value at about $285 in 95% condition, according to Fjestad's. I believe that these guns were discontinued about 1985."

The price estimate is obviously very low by today's prices.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
model 500? i found this. Is your gun marked "model 500", i didnt see it in your photos. Chokes would be improved cylinder and full, my quess.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, "Model 500" is engraved to the sides of th receiver.