THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Open Choke on Top or Bottom Barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open Choke on Top or Bottom Barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know whether you are better off putting the more open choke on the top barrel or the bottom barrel of an O/U Shotgun? Or does it matter?

I was thinking that for longer shots (i.e. tighter choke) the bottom barrel may be better as it would probably shoot a little higher.

Any thoughts or knowledge of any studies done?

I know the best way is to pattern both barrels at 20 and 40 yards with both combinations and see which works best, but I am lazy. LOL

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a barrel selector and a single trigger then I don't think it matters. With double triggers, typically the front trigger is the bottom barrel hence the barrels are choked modfied (bottom) and full (top). Most hunting shotguns have double triggers as you may not have time to fool with the barrel selector. For a long shot, you might have time to choose the back trigger. Both barrels should have the patterns overlap at the prescribed distance. I would not take a 40 yard shot as the pattern would be too open, but test it and see. Remember you are looking for "holes" in the pattern.
I don't hunt much anymore. Typically for skeet, the bottom barrel is shot first, with the thinking that the gun will rise less after the first shot due, in part to the fact that it is more in line with the point of contact at the shoulder, ie. more likely to recoil straight back. Not sure whether any actual research has been done. With a SxS I don't think it is an issue.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Thanks.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Peter stated, I was taught in clay games you try and shoot the closer/first target with the bottom barrel to reduce rise (as he explained due to the mechanics of it) and then the top.

I have on rare occasion placed the tighter barrel on the bottom and shot that first in clay games where I wanted to break the further bird first for some reason.

All of my older O/U with fixed chokes have had the more open barrel on the bottom.

Makes sense, but with choke tubes, selector switches or double triggers, you can decide what you want based on the targets in front of you.

Personally, I really cannot tell the difference in rise or recoil, myself.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
As others have said O/U shotguns with fixed chokes are designed to shoot the lower barrel first which limits muzzle rise.

I found with my Miroku SP7000 Sporter from extensive pattern testing and results on DTL trap shooting that 3/4 chokes (I purchased a second one) gave me good tight patterns that would consistently break the clay targets. For skeet I used both skeet chokes that came with the gun.

In the field for quail I again used the skeet chokes and my 1325 fps skeet reloads with 32 grams No 9 shot (could use 32 gr of shot in my trap days).

For duck, geese and swan I used my 1325 fps trap reloads with 32 grams No 7 shot and 1/4 choke bottom barrel and 3/4 choke in top barrel. Even at high shots I could bring down wildfowl better with the 1/4 choke so eventually bought a second 1/4 choke and now use 1/4 and 1/4 for duck etc.

On one particular opening day of our duck season I was shooting on a small creek surrounded by scrub so the shooting was quite close and I used skeet chokes with No 7 shot and dropped 25 mallards. I couldn't reload quick enough at times but the open chokes were murder on the incoming ducks.
Even on open riverbed pass shooting I would often drop two mallards with one shot using the 1/4 chokes when the ducks were bunched up

Small fast shot with open chokes give good patterns making killing head shots most common. I am talking of the lead shot days of course.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As others have said, there is a slight advantage in terms of recoil and muzzle rise to having the under barrel fire first. The lighter the gun the more this is true.

If we're talking hunting shotguns, then most doubles were designed to fire the more open barrel first and the tighter barrel second. This assumes you are hunting upland birds that flush and fly away from you, therefore you need to fire the more open barrel first.

However, certain types of hunting like driven birds (grouse, pheasants) which may be pushed toward the shooter, may call for the tighter barrel first. The same is true of incoming doves and pigeons. That is why most modern doubles are equipped with a barrel selector so that the shooter can change the first barrel to fire as needed.

With an O/U with changeable choke tubes I suppose it might make sense to put the tighter tube in the bottom barrel if you intended to shoot primarily incoming birds.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
As others have said, there is a slight advantage in terms of recoil and muzzle rise to having the under barrel fire first. The lighter the gun the more this is true.

If we're talking hunting shotguns, then most doubles were designed to fire the more open barrel first and the tighter barrel second. This assumes you are hunting upland birds that flush and fly away from you, therefore you need to fire the more open barrel first.

However, certain types of hunting like driven birds (grouse, pheasants) which may be pushed toward the shooter, may call for the tighter barrel first. The same is true of incoming doves and pigeons. That is why most modern doubles are equipped with a barrel selector so that the shooter can change the first barrel to fire as needed.

With an O/U with changeable choke tubes I suppose it might make sense to put the tighter tube in the bottom barrel if you intended to shoot primarily incoming birds.

Agree. This is the beauty and versatility of an O/U with Invector type chokes, a single trigger, and a safety also serving as a barrel selector. If you do have different chokes installed, a quick flick of the thumb to change to the more open or tighter choked barrel depending on what a bird is doing.
Or as I related in my earlier post, if shooting close over decoys or a small pond, put skeet or 1/4 chokes in both barrels, shooting over more open water put 3/4 chokes in both barrels.
You won't find that versatility from a semi, pump, or even most SxS shotguns.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am convinced. I will put the tighter choke on top as I am more likely to shoot the more open choke first and I can easily switch to the top barrel for the longer first shots.

Thanks

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
open on the bottom. Just had a sporting clays lesson today with one of the top guys in the sport - that's what he told me :-)

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote