THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Cased Greener Live Pigeon Gun Makes it Home.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cased Greener Live Pigeon Gun Makes it Home.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just received a cased with original accessories 12 bore, 3 inch reproofed to superior proof post 2005 London Proof Marks, Greener Facile Princeps, Extractor Gun.

The Gun weighs 7.14 ounces with 32 inch barrels straight hand stock. Double triggers of course.

Chokes are Improved Modified (Right barrel/front trigger) and Full Choke (Left barrel/rear trigger).

The action has deep three prong side clips.

The gun has the Greener side mounted safety.

The top lever is right of center. Lock up is tight.

Color case is worn from the fences.

I have looked for this gun for a long time. Passed a few Empires to get to this one.

His name is Richard.

Please PM me contact info for pictures. Anyone is welcome to post photos.

I am taking Richard Duck and Goose hunting on Thanksgiving.

You cannot see it in the phots, but both barrel have the Greener Elephant trade marks stamped.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
You are not planning on shooting steel through Old Dick, are you?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, Not!

Copper plated Bismuth.

I won’t shoot steel through modern guns/chokes.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have a Jeffery 12-bore double that I thought was a pigeon gun as it has 32" barrels, the flats are marked LC for long chamber (3"), both barrels choked full, and the proof is for 1 1/2 ounces. I was told the heavy proof was for a waterfowl gun as pigeon guns were 1 1/4 ounces. What shot weight is yours proofed for?
I'd love to see pictures.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MR. Cal:

I can tell you with 100 percent confidence Live Pigeon Guns from the UK were made with 3 inch chambers. I know this because this year at Holt’s a documented 3 inch Purdey Live Pigeon Gun was sold.

Greener was also big in the Live Pigeon game.

LC stands for long chambers which could be either 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch, but there are a lot of 3 inch (all correct proof marks) 3 inch guns with just 1 C in diamond. I think that has to do with guns being reproofed or when the gun was proofed.

The more I ponder on this Gun, the more I think it was a waterfowling gun. This is do simply because of the level of emballashment of the Gun. Live Pigeon guns were typically more embellished, but not always. See the Webley 500 which was a very simple boxlock. The most famous Live Pigeon Gun is a simple Webley 500 with 2 3/4 inch chambers.

Yet, English Live Pigeon guns did most certainly come with 3 inch chambers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are both somewhat correct. Generally pigeon guns were 2 3/4" chambered, proofed at 1 1/4 ounce. Likewise most waterfowl guns were 3", proofed at 1 1/2 ounce. But here is the kicker, because of the use of felt wadding, some pigeon shooters especially, did a lot of experimenting with different combinations in order to gain pattern density. 3" chambers gave them more flexibility, but even so true pigeon guns with 3" chambers are a rarity.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish someone with the time, and the connections would write a book on Pigeon Guns.

Volume 1-Black powder
Volume 2-Cartridge Guns Birmingham
Volume 3-Cartridge Guns London
Volume 4-Cartridge Guns USA

I even have the Chapters outlined.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cyril Adams would have been the guy, but alas he waited too late.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

"Those were the days… When English gunmaking was booming, the likes of Churchill, Holland & Holland, Purdey, Scott &Co put their guns to the test in front of the public a favourite destination was Monte Carlo where live pigeon trap shooting contests offered seriously large prizes, great status and a shooting lodge which was more akin to a palace. Live pigeon trap shooting was big. There were several clubs in the UK, to match those overseas. It was great PR for the London gunmakers, great fun for everyone else. Long since banned in the UK, indeed most places, the sport has a fascinating history, which has been brilliantly pieced together over two decades by live pigeon aficionado and Texan author Cyril S. Adams, in a fabulous new book simply entitled Live Pigeon Trap Shooting. Published by The Sporting Library it enjoys wonderful illustration to accompany the fascinating text, which takes the reader around the world on an all-embracing sporting odyssey, which will appeal to any man or woman who ever raised a gun. This is without question the definitive work on the subject – the history, equipment, descendants of an esoteric sport and how to do it, indeed there has been no book published on live pigeon trap shooting since Captain Albert W. (Blue Rock) Money wrote Pigeon Shooting in 1896. If you like shotguns and ‘Shooting Flying’ you will love this book."

Mike

Posts: 21198 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, PM sent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder Jines, got me one of those books coming, I love shooting boxed birds but columbaire is the best!!

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed my first Wood Ducks, being my first ducks ever, with this gun on Thanksgiving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

"Those were the days… When English gunmaking was booming, the likes of Churchill, Holland & Holland, Purdey, Scott &Co put their guns to the test in front of the public a favourite destination was Monte Carlo where live pigeon trap shooting contests offered seriously large prizes, great status and a shooting lodge which was more akin to a palace. Live pigeon trap shooting was big. There were several clubs in the UK, to match those overseas. It was great PR for the London gunmakers, great fun for everyone else. Long since banned in the UK, indeed most places, the sport has a fascinating history, which has been brilliantly pieced together over two decades by live pigeon aficionado and Texan author Cyril S. Adams, in a fabulous new book simply entitled Live Pigeon Trap Shooting. Published by The Sporting Library it enjoys wonderful illustration to accompany the fascinating text, which takes the reader around the world on an all-embracing sporting odyssey, which will appeal to any man or woman who ever raised a gun. This is without question the definitive work on the subject – the history, equipment, descendants of an esoteric sport and how to do it, indeed there has been no book published on live pigeon trap shooting since Captain Albert W. (Blue Rock) Money wrote Pigeon Shooting in 1896. If you like shotguns and ‘Shooting Flying’ you will love this book."

Thank you. I ordered this book, but it won’t be here until after New Year.