New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piotti shotguns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know about Piotti shotguns? Italian, way on the upper end... what else?

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that they do not sub out any parts. Everything is made in house. A very small shop with less than 20 associates including ownership.
Beautiful shotguns!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20ga SxS. Beautifully made. As good as english bests.

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Michael McIntosh gave them rave reviews in his book BEST GUNS. I believe he said that Italy had replaced England as having best makers in many people's minds and Piotti was in top 5 Italian makers and best quality gun for the money, but I may be mixing up the source. The ones I've seen were beautiful. Really would love to have their hammergun.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superb in every way, from the small gauge game guns up through the heavy pigeon guns. At least from the 1980's forward they have been very near the top of the pyramid.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold my Westley Richards because I thought my Piotti was a better gun. Now that I don't use it anymore I'm thinking about selling it too.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Piotti guns are very good. I thought long and hard about buying one, but opted for a classic London SLE made in 1930. Cost was slightly less for the Brit gun. William Larkin Moore is the Piotti importer and also frequently lists used Piotti guns for sale.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are indeed in the top tier of makers!
I have been to the factory,and seen 3 generations of the same family building those fine shotguns by hand!
Side locks based on H&H style locks.
They are outstanding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 Piottis one in 20 and one in 28.

Both have been to Argentina where I put them through the true test.

Both guns held up and only one screw moved on the 28 and the movement was only about 1/8".

I've since sold the 20 and now use the 28 for dove and pigeon. The 28 has been on 4 trips each 3 days shooting 2500 rounds per day total with that gun- never an issue. So 30000 rounds through that gun and I can't give a higher recommendation. It still looks new.

Would any English gun stand up to that test?

Oh, and the triggers are perfect, very crisp- just a great gun!

They are a great value on the used gun market- just be patient and you'll find the right one for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dahav:

...Would any English gun stand up to that test?...

Yes, they would. Most better pre-war Brit game guns were shot at driven birds - thousands of shots per season. For many years. My 1930 Atkin is typical of the guns of that era. It is well cared for - tight and in proof.

I have great respect for Piotti (and Rizzini, Bosis, etc.) and they make fine guns. But they are not the ONLY fine guns made.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
quote:
Originally posted by Dahav:

...Would any English gun stand up to that test?...

Yes, they would. Most better pre-war Brit game guns were shot at driven birds - thousands of shots per season. For many years. My 1930 Atkin is typical of the guns of that era. It is well cared for - tight and in proof.

I have great respect for Piotti (and Rizzini, Bosis, etc.) and they make fine guns. But they are not the ONLY fine guns made.

Yes, I hear you and I'm an long time English gun user as well. My go to guns for clays are a pair of Hussey Imperials from 1904 and they are well cared for and in proof. I have them stripped and cleaned twice a year. They are very durable but each gun has had issues from time to time (broken springs, swivels, etc.). Understandable for 116 year old guns!

I think the volume of rounds shot in South America today far exceeds the rounds shot in the UK even during the days of the big shoots in the Edwardian period. I think a big day then was 5000 birds for a line of 8? On an average day in Argentina I'll shoot 2500 shells.

Note that my opinion about the durability of Piotti is based on experience and I'm not saying they are better guns than English guns- perhaps just more suitable for South America.

The outfitter I use in Argentina has seen guns of all types and he has witnessed modern and vintage UK guns (which are great guns) not stand up to shooting there.

Another issue for me and English guns is the difficulty in getting 2.5" shells in South America. I would certainly take my Husseys there if the proper shells were more readily available.

So at the end of he day I'll choose my Piotti over my Husseys. But, barring any shell issues, I would encourage anyone to take their UK gun(s) to South America and enjoy shooting them- its all about having fun anyway!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason for my question is that I have been offered a book-ended matched pair in the Kings configuration for a very good price. The price is high by any standard of comparison, but less than half of new.

Any other idea or info I should know?

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Piotti 410 Kings configuration that is clearly the finest shotgun I’ll ever own. I use it almost exclusively for my clays shooting because it’s fun, and I break enough through the intermediate setups to not worry about lost clays the 410 might cost. I have no idea how many thousands rounds I’ve shot with it but have never had a malfunction or problem of any sort that I recall. I’ve also used it a lot for dove and non-wild quail. Easy to carry and fun to shoot!

Mine was produced in the late 70’s and I’ve been told that Piottis from that age and earlier are considered to be particularly desirable. That opinion came from someone who is a recognized expert in the high end gun arena, and he was not the one I purchased from.

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote