Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 11-87 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
On behalf of a hunting buddy - is it feasable to lengthen the chamber in a 2 3/4" gun to shoot 3" shells ?

Or more specifically , since the actual chamber job is reasonably straight forward - and he is an engineer - will the Remington action feed and discharge 3" shells without modification ?

Thanks in advance.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not recomened,,,, but most 1100s will chamber and function with 3in loads.... but if it is a magnum will not function with light 2 3/4 loads.... werent all 1187 3 inch????... cheaper to just buy another barrell if not

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or more specifically , since the actual chamber job is reasonably straight forward - and he is an engineer - will the Remington action feed and discharge 3" shells without modification ?

An engineer? animal

Is he going to sand some metal into the gas ports to shrink them a bit for 3 in. shells?

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Well now Mr Wakeman - if I could just refer you back up to the actual question , maybe you could offer me some usefull advice rather than making a joke of it .

And why is being an engineer amusing? All gunsmiths are engineers - but certainly not all engineers are gunsmiths. If this one was he probably wouldnt have sought advice on this situation from a forum that one might reasonably expect to be the place with the knowledge needed.

I would still like some information as whether its possible to do this job on the gun , if not why not , and any helpfull suggestions .

Keystone HH - we get ripped off badly in New Zealand on things like gunparts - a new barrell is bound to be more expensive than the whole gun is worth - hence the initial query. Thanks for your suggestion all the same .

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Assuming the ejection port is adequate for 3 in. shells (unfolded length), which I believe it is-- ejection itself would not be an issue.

However, most 2-3/4 in. chambered semi-autos (unusual for an 11-87) have gas porting suitable for skeet or sporting clays loads-- that includes the 1100 "optimized" for skeet, certain Browning Gold clays guns, etc.

The answer would be the same for an "engineer," a fireman, a doctor, a scuba diver, or my next door neighbor. Whatever an individual's vocation might be has never has much to do with the way firearms work.

So, a steady diet of 3 in. shells would not be a good idea with a 2-3/4 in. ported gun. Non-compensating gas systems (a302 / 303 / B-80 / B2000) increase bolt speed in concert with the gas flow through the ports. 3 in. barrels have smaller ports in the case of an A303, in the case of a B2000 you have one port instead of two. Too much bolt speed peens receivers, breaks links, etc.

For a gas gun, a barrel change makes a lot more sense.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Now that is exactley the sort of information I was after . Thank you very much - also the fact that the information is understandable in normal person language .

I will pass that on to the gun owner and he will make his own choices. It is a sweet gun and he shoots it extremely well but is finding that with our very recent change to steel shot the 2 3/4" loads dont have enough grunt to knock those mallards down at any sort of distance , unlike lead .

Point taken on the barrel swap - likely cost will prevent that happening.

Thanks again , appreciate your reply .

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Steel shot in Kiwi-land--? That's a pity; I was hoping your government would have learned by our mistakes.

Still, you have no snakes and Steinlager. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Yup - couple of years ago it was introduced. The joys of living in a "dimocracy" led by lesbians and tree huggers , and having a Fish and Game organisation that are more into political pointscoring than doing anything much for the sportsman.

Real men drink Tui or Speights Gold here - Steinlager is a yuppie city-boy beverage like latte and those other soft-cock things city folk sip on ... ;-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 11-87 unless its a trap or skeet model should already be chambered 3".

Posts: 27 | Location: Southern Iowa | Registered: 30 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Its a Premier Trap model .

one of us
posted Hide Post
So are you saying it is not likely to bulge the barrel if the cartridge is longer than the chamber? I have a 2 3/4 " 1100 and bought a box of 3" steel shells in error; do you guys reckon it not unsafe to shoot them through the shorter chamber?

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is unsafe to shoot 3 in. shells through a 2-3/4 in. chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trans-pond:
So are you saying it is not likely to bulge the barrel if the cartridge is longer than the chamber? I have a 2 3/4 " 1100 and bought a box of 3" steel shells in error; do you guys reckon it not unsafe to shoot them through the shorter chamber?

not safe at all bring shells back and exchange or trade with hunting buddy

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
latte and those other soft-cock things city folk sip on ...

Now that is funny!! jumping

Posts: 1118 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote