THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Speculation on an off face Win 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speculation on an off face Win 21
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have plans to meet up with a seller of a Winchester 21 later this week. The photos of the gun look great, with a known problem of the stock having been cut short and padded.

When I asked about if it was tight and on face, he told me yes. He now says, after double checking, he can see light, and that he can close the action with a piece of paper on the breech, but that he can't then pull it out.

This is less than ideal. What do you guys think the best way to hadle this would be? On the 21, is this generally a worn hinge pin or hook? Something else all together?

Posts: 1301 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you guys think the best way to hadle this would be

All depends on the price.

If one can buy it cheap enough one can afford to fix it

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fix for this on a M21 is usually a larger diameter hinge pin. Supposedly Winchester made them in .005 increments. Some smiths tapped out the old pin, rotated it 180 deg. and reinserted it. Call CSMC and ask what they get to do the work. That plus shipping, etc. would certainly factor in coming up with a price.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of Win Mod 21's out there. A lot. Great gun. Niche gun. It has it's place. Just nothing too special. Lot's of them out there.

Stock cut? Off face? Perhaps other issues? Unless you really want THIS gun, why? Why take on...THIS gun?

Find another gun. There are plenty of them out there.

Move on. Lot's of Win Mod 21's out there without issues, without baggage.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I looked it over myself. It's not off face. He just didn't know how to close the action. This is what happens when the estate is marketing the gun instead of the gun guy himself.

Posts: 1301 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With an action as stout as the model 21, I can’t imagine how many rounds would be required to move it off the face.

Operator error, as apparently happened, makes more sense.

Posts: 85 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 03 June 2002Reply With Quote