THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    The new Fox A Grade - anyone know about these?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new Fox A Grade - anyone know about these?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
Anyone have more information than what's posted on the Savage website?

http://www.savagearms.com/fox/

I'm interested in hearing about them. I wonder where are they are being made.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I was unaware of them until I saw this post. Reading the info on their site, I would hazard a guess that they are being made by Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing since they have had the rights to and have made the higher grade Foxes for more than a few years now. Savages site also mentions CSMC in the data section. I would sure like to see one, I have always wanted a Fox!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are made by CSMC and are built on the CSMC RBL basic gun. The frame recontoured through CNC machining during mfg to better replicate the Fox.
Savage still owns the rights to the AH Fox name. They license it to CSMC for their mfg of the CSMC AH Fox shotgun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or does the checkering look amateurish?

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Is it just me or does the checkering look amateurish?
The one at the top of the linked page looks like it was checkered but no finish was applied. There are some better images further down the page.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the checkering is done by machine w/ laser guide for depth & pattern. Same as the RBL model shotguns.
The entire gun (RBL) and I'd have to assume this Fox were designed to be machine made for assembly w/no hand fitting. No hand work for the checkering, none for the shaping, sanding, fit or finish of the wood to the frame or for the internal components to the frame.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I purchased one of the 20ga RBL's just after they were launched. It wasn't what I had expected and I didn't keep it for long.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CSMC RBL Launch Edition in 20 ga. and I love the gun. I use it for skeet and it always creates admiring comments. It is a handsome gun and shoots very well at the skeet game. I am not sure what I was expecting other than it's good looks and that it shot well. It fulfilled both of those expectations. I bought it from someone on this forum as I recollect. perhaps I bought yours Grenadier? Just my own personal experience.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I don't remember, Peter. Maybe you got it from me on AR or maybe I sold it elsewhere.

I ordered it for my wife, tiny thing that she is. They offered two or three lengths of pull and I opted for the shortest. They offered an assisted opener and I chose that option. I also chose the upgraded wood. It made a nice attractive package, case included.

However, with the assisted opener installed my wife couldn't close the action and without it installed she couldn't open the action. I expected the system to be similar to the old Webley & Scott type boxlock but it was different, especially when it came to the assisted opener.

After the RBL didn't work out, I purchased a short pull Beretta 28 gauge O/U for her and that has worked out just fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I don;t know what an assisted opener is, so I must have got my gun elsewhere. I also didn't know that they offered different LOP's. Mine does seem a little short, but hunting guns tend to be a bit shorter as they are 'unmounted".
Thanks for the reply. Those Beretta 28ga. O/U's are VERY nice guns! I shoot a tubed set, so the gun is much heavier!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Lengths of pull were a choice of 14-1/4" or 14-1/2".

Manual from 2009 here: https://issuu.com/galazan/docs/rbl_20_manual

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link!
Peter.