Find
Notify
Tools

Arrieta
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks,

Does any here have any experience with Arrieta shotguns? Price point?

Thanks much

Did not know where to post so thought here,,if wrong please move

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience as such with Arrieta but did own a Pedro Arrizabalaga which I acquired from Paul Roberts many years ago.

A pretty gun with some excellent fine scroll but I just couldn't shoot Jack shit with it (not faulting the gun) and traded it back to him for an O/U with variable chokes which I have to this day.

The price for that S/S approximately 30 years ago was in the region of Stg.3,000

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typically, Arrieta’s are great shotguns. Certainly the higher end models are better. Similar to Grulla or AYA.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rate the Arrietas above Grulla and AYA. They are almost as nice as the Arrizabalaga guns. Not sure on value, as the Spanish guns have gone up in price lately. I switched over to classic British guns some time ago... but I won't turn down an Arrieta or Arrizabalaga.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arrieta is no longer in business- a victim of rising cost of production coupled with a decline in the demand for sxs guns.

I have one in 12 bore, an Orvis imported 871 round body, the gun is a bit heavy, 7 lbs., but swings well and is a good, solid gun. I use it for sporting clays.

I also have shot aya guns extensively and think the Arrieta is a better gun.

Good values can be had in the secondary market if one looks hard enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks, this one is the Sabell model, 25" barrels, sidelocks, 23/4" chambers and weighs in at approx 5.5 lbs. Looks in very good/almost new condition.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Years ago I spent an afternoon with John Wilkes in his London shop. He knew I could not afford one of his guns and recommended Arrieta as the best of the then produced Spanish guns. Incidently, for a mass produced over/under he recommendex Beretta. His recommendations were based on handling, durability, and aesthetics.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I had a pair of Arrieta 16 Bore single trigger self-openers. 29" barrels, 2 3/4" chambers and long but quite plain 16" stocks. Very elegant except the bright lockplates left in the white.

In truth I bought them as a whim to be able to say I'd owned a pair of guns. I sold them a couple of months ago as I'll likely never shoot again where double guns are needed.

So I'm down to my father's Henry Clarke, my own Boss, a Manufrance 28E boxlocok in 16 Bore and a Belgian BLNE. They'll see me for all I'll likely ever need now.

I've also a Gunmark Viscount SLE that I've bought for my son. My 16 Bore pair made by Arrieta were marked up as Somerton Guns. Now long closed down.

That's also an Arrieta with rolled engraving on the sidelocks. It looks nevertheless very tasteful. Google Gunmark Viscount and you'll see them. In the UK less that $1000.00 at auction.

As another has said they just looked nicer that the AYA No2 especially the Gunmark Viscount but the AYA Countryman offered better value for money as it was plain Jane. No engraving.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote