Find
Notify
Tools

Basic Pump Shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
I was planning on buying my son a new 870 for Christmas and was quite surprised to find that Remington was out of business and you can no longer find the most popular gun ever made...
Any thoughts on where I can find an 870, or thoughts on a suitable replacement?
Keep in mind that this is a meat gun for a young boy, so I'm not looking for anything too nice. Just a basic functioning pump 12 gauge.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of my BPS, but one will cost a bit more than the basic 870. It's sleek and very smooth, plus it's ambidextrous, if that's any concern. Winchester's new pump looks decent and handles well (haven't shot one). And there's always Mossberg, which are built like tanks but a bit clunky. I've shot the heck out of a 500 turkey model.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
You might also start searching the pawn shops. Most usually have a stack of them.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I've thought about the Mossberg option. Just had a buddy years ago that had 9 levels of hell with his and it left a bad taste in my mouth toward them. I'll hit the pawn shops too. Already very familiar with 870, so here's hoping.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,

Sportsman's Warehouse has what I think is a lot of pump gun for the money. it's a TRI STAR for $250. Look at it on line.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Browning BPS pump. It's bottom load and bottom ejection, ambidextrous, has beautiful wood, fit and finish, and a top tang safety. Years ago, I was buying a pump shotgun for my oldest son and shopped around. Decided on a Winchester pump shotgun because it was inexpensive. It had to be ordered, but never arrived(I was told that a shipment of firearms left Texas for the store but never arrived.) For me, that was actually fortuitous. I started looking at other options. I was shown the Browning BPS pump and purchased it for him. Since then, I've purchased all of my boys a BPS. I also own two myself. The only other alternative that I would choose would be an Ithaca Model 37. It's like anything else in the world. Get something that will last a lifetime and that you won't regret purchasing each and every time you look at it and think about the alternatives. But, if you're not interested in looks, or the alternatives that the BPS offers, and only in a meat gun, then the Mossberg would do just fine. Just my two centavos worth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion if you want an inexpensive starter gun for a kid, getting a 12 or 20 ga. used gun is the best bet.

Generally with a bit of shopping you can find a cosmetically challenged high end gun for peanuts and not feel bad about modifying it for right LOP, etc.

A gas operated 20 ga autoloader generally is the best at reduced recoil, a 12 ga pump is most reliable mechanically, and both have scads of the less expensive target ammo around, so the kids get more opportunity to practice with the gun.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently made 870's are garbage. I know, I work at a former Remington service center. The older ones are the best, but now there is no source of replacement parts. I vote for the BPS too. Only seen one in the shop in six years. Tristars are a crap shoot, you will get a good one or a not so good one. But their service department is very good and they'll make it right. Their gas operated 20 gauge is good starter gun.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
We went ahead and got him a Stoeger p3500 with a camo finish today. Btw, this was his step up gun. He's been shooting a 20 gauge Win pump for 5 years. I thought that I'd given Christmas plenty of lead time, but, honestly, this was only the 3rd 12 gauge pump that we were able to put hands on and let him shoulder, and we had to drive 45 minutes just to see it. Local gun shops and even big box type stores are simply sold out in my area. Went to a couple of pawn shops, but the pretty much wanted new gun prices, (and even more than new gun prices at one shop) for used guns. Just couldn't see doing that, so...
Thanks for the input guys. I would have been interested in the Browning BPS too, if we could have found one.
Fwiw, the other two that we were able to find were a Win SXP and Yildiz. The Win SXP was going to be my choice, until we actually handled it. The forearm on that thing was loose and felt like I could crush it with my hand. Not a very good feeling for a pump. The Yildiz was a bit clunky (expected) but the pump comes all the way back to the trigger guard in a fairly odd way and my son didn't feel comfortable with it. I think he was worried he'd hit his trigger hand with the pump. Anyway, thanks again and now we just need some ducks to fly down.

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Daniel,

Sportsman's Warehouse has what I think is a lot of pump gun for the money. it's a TRI STAR for $250. Look at it on line.

Mark

A buddy of mine who's a 25 year veteran duck guide recommended the Tri Star. We just couldn't find one, but I was certainly open to it.
I don't think I have ever seen a gun wipeout like we're having. Places that would normally have 100 guns behind the counter have 8. It's ridiculous!

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Recently made 870's are garbage. I know, I work at a former Remington service center. The older ones are the best, but now there is no source of replacement parts. I vote for the BPS too. Only seen one in the shop in six years. Tristars are a crap shoot, you will get a good one or a not so good one. But their service department is very good and they'll make it right. Their gas operated 20 gauge is good starter gun.

agree with this all the way!

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
The Win SXP was going to be my choice, until we actually handled it. The forearm on that thing was loose and felt like I could crush it with my hand. Not a very good feeling for a pump.

That's disappointing, but not surprising. My first shotgun was a Winchester 1300. It has about a million rounds through it, and just bagged a few pheasants with it this season. It's a quality, American-made gun from when they did that. Ever since they started making pump guns in Turkey, the quality went downhill.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My 1st shotgun was a single shot Stevens in 410. But that was back in the dark ages. I'm sorry to hear the bad reports on the 870; that was always a premier shotgun that you could totally rely upon. Mine however are from an earlier era. I have an Ithica 37 that is sweet as well. Glad you found something for your son for Christmas. That has been a tradition of mine to my boys for many years.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
My son got his first few mallards this past weekend and 3 Canada Geese. He's pretty stoked. FWIW, the gun did jam a few times, but I know he didn't bring the pump all the way back on those, so we'll just call it the learning curve and breaking the new gun in. Thanks for the help guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was looking for a pump gun, I'd go Win Model 12 or Ithaca model 37. These would be used guns, but they hardly ever wear out... they just get smoother.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

I agree with the lack of quality with any Remington made after 2000. If I were buying, I would find a nice lightly used Winchester 12.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Good luck my friend! I would LOVE to see a lightly used M-12 Win. + if one sees it, BUY IT!!. As I have mentioned I as well as a lot of other kids got our start on a Stevens single shot 410. I remember very well the time spent mowing lawns, doing chores, + everything labor involved to get the money to buy my own. I have a nice bit of shotguns now but none hold the value in my mind of the 1st Stevens 410 that I had REALLY worked for. I guess one would have to be there to understand.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote