THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Vintage of Beretta Silver Snipe O/U
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage of Beretta Silver Snipe O/U
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Gentlemen,

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with the timeframe in which Beretta made the Silver Snipe model of O/U? I picked one up a couple years ago, and although I haven't looked too hard, in the searching I have done I haven't been able to find anything out about it.

Does anyone know where I could trace the manufacturing date by the serial number. I think this gun is over 40yo but am really not sure if I am even in the ballpark.

Thanks in advance,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue Book shows that the Silver Snipe was made from 1955-1967.
Have you tried e-mailing Baretta (Italy, Canada, or US) to ask them when it was made?

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
During that time period, Beretta was imported by J. I. Galef. As I recall, the silver snipe was equipped with manual extractors, while the Golden Snipe was equipped with auto selective ejectors. Is this right according to your silver snipe?

I seem to recall the Galef-imported line lasting a little later than the Blue Book reference of 1967, maybe as late as the early '70's, but then I've slept since then.

It seems as if Garcia took over the importation of Beretta's about the same time as they took on Sako, or around 1972. As with Sako, they jiggered with the line and replaced the silver snipe with the BL-2. There was a lower-priced BL-1 briefly which had unsoldered barrels.

At any rate, your gun is in the neighborhood of forty.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I never tried e-mailing Beretta, but I did try their website. They don't have any historical info on it.

Stonecreek, your memory must serve you well. My Silver Snipe does have manual extractors.

Thanks again,
[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was my 2nd shotgun, my 1st 12 ga.
And that was about 40 years ago.
Don't hunt with it in the rain - the stock finish will come off in your hands.
And don't use extra light recoiling ammo either. Recoil sets the top barrel. Without enough of it, the top barrel won't fire.
Otherwise, it is a nice, light, fast handling gun. I regreted selling mine. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote