Notify
Tools

What about DeHaan Shotguns?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
Does anyone have experience with them?

I'm thinking a light SxS in 20ga for upland would be nice and heard mention of these. Nate

DeHaan Shotguns

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
The U2 I bought was a piece of shit... It's no longer with me. thumbdown

Poor workmanship combined with poor customer service. If that's what you're into, then DeHaan has it in spades!!

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Mancannon's experience is the first negative customer service comment I have heard from Mark. I know him personally (he shoots at our club), have shot his guns, and handled probably three dozen of them.

As a general rule, the guns are inexpensive, but a good value for the money. They are essentially the same as the current CZ shotguns, with some exterior changes and upgrades. DeHaan's customer service record has been excellent. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
I've heard no negatives. They are Huglu's (as are CZ's) but Mark adds his own springs, final fitting, test-firing, etc.

You don't like it, you don't pay for it is his guarantee.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ Ringneck 28 that has now been through it's second dove season and I have no complaints at all. I bought it rather than the virtually identical but slightly fancier DeHaan simply because my local dealer could get it for me somewhat cheaper (and gold ducks seem out of place on a 28 gauge, anyway). I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DeHaan if I were in the market for an affordable double.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
More detail on my experience. My U2 arrived, and I was "ok" with the appearance. The engraving looked far more cheap than the pictures on the website. Kinda like touristy mexican trinkets. The choke tubes were clearly made from a very poor grade of steel, with lots of machining burrs left in the threads. There was also a large chunk of discolored wood in the stock by the recoil pad. It wasn't even close to the same color as the rest of the stock. Looked rather tacky!! Also, the poorly CAST "METAL" safety/selector switch rounded out the look. But since I didn't drop $5k on the gun, I was "OK" with the look. So, how did it shoot? It actually shot and balanced quite nicely. Sometime around the 200th shot, a piece of metal that caps off the side rib popped off. I promptly sent the gun back, and Mark repaired it. Unfortunately, the repair looked really bad. The end cap was now a different color metal than the other end cap, and had really rough file marks left on it and the barrel!!. It looked like he spent a whole 2.5 minutes on the repair. The gun continued to give me problems, now with the comb being too high. It was bruising my face even with 25 rounds. I asked Mark to see what he could do about the comb height. He suggested I sand it off until it fit. Ok, no problem. At about the 500th round, the "blueing" started chipping off of the barrel near the top rib. WTF?!?!?! I was now officially done with the U2. I was quite dissatisfied, and Mark knew it. I wanted my money back... But he refused since it had been shot. So, buyer beware. You'll get exactly what you buy. A piece of foreign crap with service to match. My 870 Wingmaster is much much much better gun, if that tells you anything.

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
More detail on my experience. My U2 arrived, and I was "ok" with the appearance. The engraving looked far more cheap than the pictures on the website. Kinda like touristy mexican trinkets. The choke tubes were clearly made from a very poor grade of steel, with lots of machining burrs left in the threads. There was also a large chunk of discolored wood in the stock by the recoil pad. It wasn't even close to the same color as the rest of the stock. Looked rather tacky!! Also, the poorly CAST "METAL" safety/selector switch rounded out the look.

All the above is moot. If had that much to complain about, it should have been sent back immediately.

It is easy to order directly from us. Please see the instructions following the price list below. We understand the reluctance of some customers to purchase a fine shotgun without actually handling it. Therefore we offer a "NO RISK" purchase guarantee on every gun we sell. If for any reason you are not absolutely delighted with your new DeHaan shotgun when you receive it, simply ship it back to us in mint condition and we will promptly refund the price of the gun, less shipping fees. We are making this exceptional offer because we believe our shotguns are absolutely unbeatable in terms of price, quality, and craftsmanship. Once you see the gun, you will want it.

That is what is promised, and that promise was not broken.

I don't doubt that you're not happy-- but what you mentioned is not the norm, and the fact that you kept it was your own judgement.

Mark has a very good reputation in the industry; it can't all be by accident.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
Turkish junk is still Turkish junk, no matter who repackages it. I've learned my lesson. If Dehaan's are what you like, then so be it. Caveat emptor... thumbdown

posted Hide Post
I have two- a .410 O/U and a 20 Ga SxS and I absolutely love them. They are not the same quality as my Berettas, but definately very nice for the money. FWIW, I have probably 10,000 to 12,000 rounds fired through my .410 and half that many through the 20 with no problems at all.
-Bear

Posts: 8 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
How are the fit and finish as compared to other production guns?

Have you patterned them, and are they regulated well enough?

I've done some snooping around on the 'net and found two negative responses that seemed quality related. I also found a couple resposes from guys who were expecting a Fox or Purdy gun for Kmart price from the description of the "problem". I also found several discussions about Berrettas and Weatherby with problems.

I do appreciate your first hand experiences (all of them) and the comments. It is a little un-nerving to order one in and although I can return it if the finish isn't satisfactory immediately, how will it go over if it doesn't pattern well? Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The return guarantee is done the moment you shoot it. From there on, it becomes a warrantee repair, if needed.

Regulation is a worry even with higher priced guns, and you don't get to return any of them. Some deal better with problems like that than others.

Give Mark a call, and ask him how he would handle a poorly regulated gun, and what his definition of "poor regulation" is. In writing, if you feel that's important. Then do the same with the other manufacturers you are considering. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dutch, How were the DeHaan's to shoot? What's your impression? Have you purchased one yourself yet? Nate

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The one I shot most is my S.C. league team member's 12 ga sxs, and I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it, if I was standing on the inside! LOL!

That's all about gun-fit, though, and with me being 6'5", I suppose that's the way it's supposed to be.

They appear solid to me. Reasonably tight, balance is good, triggers ok, wood better than I'd expect for the price. Wood to metal finish proud, like everything else in that price class.

The one I looked at really hard is a little 28 ga, but I have too much interest in hunting to be collecting guns anymore. I just refurbed a 20 ga. Elsie, and I barely ever carry it. Which reminds me, the dogs are driving me nuts, time to go find some huns! LOL! Dutch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can get ejectors on the SxS, only extractors. That would kill the deal for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were looking for a reasonable good handling sxs I'd look around for a good used Ugartechea. You can buy some 12's for $500 or so and they shoot and handle like a double should. As a matter of fact I did just that and own a 20 and 28. Extractors are OK with me, you could get used to them.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I agree with jstevens if you are talking about twelve gauge. Not just Ugartechea but any of the more popular spanish makes is a step up from a Huglu, some by a wide margin. If you want a smallbore the price difference between something spanish and a DeHaan/CZ USA increases. If I had my heart or mind set on a Huglu I would choose one of the CZ USA guns.

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot sporting clays with mine and I have posted a couple of 90's and one 93 with my .410 O/U. It patterns really well (I don't remember how well, it's been a couple of years since I patterned it, but it was comparable to my Beretta). I have not patterned my SxS 20, but I have not had any problems breaking targets with it, either.-Bear

Posts: 8 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I heard from another response to an email that they break the firing pins regularily. Have you guys seen / experienced this?

From these responces they sound like a great value for a hunting gun. Nate

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snipe Hunter:
I agree with jstevens if you are talking about twelve gauge. Not just Ugartechea but any of the more popular spanish makes is a step up from a Huglu, some by a wide margin. If you want a smallbore the price difference between something spanish and a DeHaan/CZ USA increases. If I had my heart or mind set on a Huglu I would choose one of the CZ USA guns.

So help me out here. What spanish ones are you familiar with? Who sells them? How do you use yours? Thanks, Nate

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with AyA, Grulla, and Ugartechea as far as ownership of spanish guns goes. I have handled many others under different names. There are numerous campanies that have made or put their names on well made, lively guns that are mostly hand made and finished for not very much money. There is also crap so you need to assess each on a gun by gun basis. Quality isn't a problem with sidelocks from the top five or six makers but it is when you start looking at entry level boxlock guns.

Who sells them? Lots of folks. Go to GunsAmerica and you will see that spanish guns have their own category as well as European makes from other countries. Stop at you local bookstore and pick up a copy of Gun List and browse through it. Like I said, if you want to get a twelve or maybe a twenty you will find something more closely resembling a game gun from Spain than what Huglu makes for closer to the same money. If you want something smaller than a twenty gauge that price difference will become more substantial and the CZ/DeHann guns look like a better value in my eyes.

How do I use mine? Click on the link in my signature at the bottom on my posts and you will see that I use mine for funny looking birds with long beaks.

SH

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Well starting at mid $3k and going up from there for a field gun? Is this what you guy's are hunting with? The one Grulla was $14,500. I guess I'll be buying the boy a Browning Gold Superlight and I'll stick to my Grandads 870!

I won't spend that for a shotgun. What's the point? is it that much better? I guess it's like buying a sports car that'll do 180 mph. I guess if this is the next step up from the junk I'm looking at, I'll get a junk O/U and when I'm hunting with it I won't feel bad. Nate

Edited: P.S. I've got a Benelli for waterfowl, but it's clumsy for upland birds.

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Nate, the sad fact is that a grand doesn't go as far today for a new two barrel gun as it once did. I shoot a CZ but it is the same quality as cheap European guns that cost $300 or so about a decade ago. Will you get either a new O/U or sxs that is better made for a grand than your grandad's 870? I doubt it. However, you can find a lightly used Red Label, SKB, Miroku, or a handful of others that are well made guns. Best of luck.

SH

Got Snipe?

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Well for money I probably will buy a used Browning, Berretta, or even a Weatherby, SKB or something. I really want to retire my 870 as it was my Grandfathers, it is a very early one, and I'd like to pass it on to my kids. It isn't worth much in /of itself but there is some sentimental value.

I just think the average guy aught to be able to buy a good SxS for reasonable money. I supposed $16-1800 is still to much for many but it's not worse than a semi-custom rifle. Remington and CZ are obviously trying to fill this niche. I'm just not knowledgable about the fit, finish, and function of the "working class" guns. I've been more of a waterfowler and I do have some thought s on those.

Maybe I'm just venting my frustration. Confused Nate

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Nate, I think the brands you mentioned above will be money well spent. I'd take any of them over any of the named Huglu guns. I don't want to sound as though I am knocking the Turkish guns. I have one myself that I have used two of the first three days I have hunted since my season opened last week. If your parameters go beyond a new gun there is much more to choose from. No problem venting frustration. Unless price is no object many of us feel it when we want something new.

SH

Got Snipe?

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=79&sid=...f0b2277df847a7d0acec

That's more DeHaan info in one source than you can find most anywhere else.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Randy! I'm not even close to having read it all and have seen answers to questions already. Nate

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd second Snipe Hunter,

SxS and even O/U prices are high in general. But, older used European guns and some American classics can be had for the price of the Huglus. I've handled several Huglu shotguns and I would not own the ones I've seen (that includes the few Kimbers I've seen). The same money would go much farther on good used gun. Just my opinion, and I'm no gun snob, hell I used a Stevens 311 for years! wave

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a U2 O/U 16 ga. coming, so I'll report first hand.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Wondering if you've gotten yours in yet. Nate

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Yes, last week . . .

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'd like to here your first impressions, and what you think of it after shooting it a bit.
Pic's would be nice too, as long as I'm being selfishly demanding. Eeker Thanks, Nate

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like your more than just "happy" with it.
Can the triggers be manipulated to clean them up? Nate

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Yes; just ask Mark about that. I purposely wanted "generic" to test.

A 16 ga. DeHaan S x S is next on the list.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks For the first hand info. Your time spent has been appreciated. Nate