New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help with Rem. 1100
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been a while since I considered this but if I remember it correctly, you can put a 3" magnum barrel on a std. receiver and shoot 3" shells in it. Anyone had experience at this and can you let me know if I am correct. I am sure Factory would not approve but I think size, etc. all will let it work. Appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Do you mean an 11-87 barrel?

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, an 1100 3". I think the only real diff. in the 1187 and the 1100 is the cap at the forearm but I just want to put a std. 3" barrel on an 1100.

Thanks for any advice,

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
The difference between the two '1100' types of receivers (std. and magnum) is a heavier action bar sleeve on the magnum.

Remington sells their 3 in. 1100 "steel shot barrel" which may not eject 2-3/4 in. target loads.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this stronger action bar mean a 3" barrel will not work on a std action? Memory says I had done it before and when looking at the two could see no obvious difference.

Thanks again,

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Remington sells their 3 in. chambered "Steel Shot" 1100 barrel that they claim works on 2-3/4 in. chambered guns.

It makes far more sense just to get a 3 in. chambered gun, if you think you need to shoot 3 in. shells.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes you can put the 3 in barrell on a non magnum 1100.. lots of buck has been run through mine, and with the 3 in barrell some heavy birdshot loads will cycle,,,trail and error

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/ori..._factory_barrels.asp hope this clears things up for you check the 1100 barrels the caption at the bottom . Bob

knowledge is power and you never have enough knowledge

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i looked at doing this with my 1187 trap gun but i wasn't convinced that there was enough clearance in the action.i put a spent 2 3/4" shell in and manually ejected it to see what the clearance was like and i didn't think there was enough.i ended up buying another 1187 in 3"

Posts: 65 | Location: South Taranaki,New Zealand | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote