THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    My Custom Model 12 20ga Birdgun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Custom Model 12 20ga Birdgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Look at the wood on this little beauty. It's an original Model 12 in 20ga that was built into a custom bird gun for hunting over dogs, where the shots are close. carries nicely and always gets comments.

Posts: 20069 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely stunning...
Wish I had a Blaser to trade you !!!
Wow..

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1288 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beyond Gorgeous!! Smiler

I grew up shooting side-by-sides, and all the pump shotguns I saw were 12 gauges, that seemed ponderous to me. Then a friend invited me out
rabbit hunting, and when we got to the field, he pulled out a lovely little 20-gauge model 12. It had just enough honest wear on it to give it the appeal of a well-cared-for field companion.

When he let me handle it, I was very impressed!
Light, slick and deadly! There and then I decided that if I was going to own a pump shotgun, it would be a 20 ga. Model 12. Haven't got one yet, but you've provided another incentive! That's a beauty!!

John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there's something special about a Model 12 to me. I've had several Trap models, where they used the nice feathercrotch Walnut, but nice 20ga guns are hard to find.

Posts: 20069 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The most outstanding thing is the smaller frame on this gun. I have a 12 ga. trap gun that is great to shoot and a model 12 in 16ga. The smaller frame size of the 16 and 20 make it much faster to mount and swing. Truely a wonderful shotgun.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is some beautiful wood on that gun!

Since you say custom and original, I assume the stock is custom, and the rest is original?

I got my grandfather's 16 ga M12, and it is much lighter than the 12 ga. It's held together, stock wise with electrical tape (he did that back when...) I am of two minds of whether or not to get a nice stock made - it would upgrade the gun, but then it might not be grandpa's gun...

Posts: 10463 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the rest is Winchester original....just cleaned up, polished and blued.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by crbutler:
That is some beautiful wood on that gun!

Since you say custom and original, I assume the stock is custom, and the rest is original?

I got my grandfather's 16 ga M12, and it is much lighter than the 12 ga. It's held together, stock wise with electrical tape (he did that back when...) I am of two minds of whether or not to get a nice stock made - it would upgrade the gun, but then it might not be grandpa's gun...[/QUOTE

you could always save the old one if you wanted to change it back.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the first 8 years of my shotguning life I use a Model 12ga 20ga my dad brought me for 50 dollars.

It has a very tight full choke I killed lots of birds on the 2nd shot. I also blew a lot of close ones up.

I then moved on to doubles and haven't use the model 12 for decades.

I took it out and pattern it the other day as a young lady I know wants to shoot a turkey.

Wouldn't be afraid to use it on them out to 35 with 1@1/8oz of 6s.

Posts: 19303 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester made some outstanding repeating shotguns. The model 12 and the SX1 semi auto,
Neither had a stamped metal part in them: All machined. All steel and no alloys.
Take care of them and they are firearms for generations....
Gorgeous English Walnut on the example!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
who did the rebuild? vent rib and such? did you open up the choke or was it already open?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not a big fan of the Mod 12, but that’s a beauty for sure.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I started out with a well-used nickel steel Model 12 in 16 ga. I had to bubba the stock to fit me -- I still can't shoot an original Model 12 stock for beans -- but boy, I killed some quail -- and some mallards -- with that gun back in high school, pre-1970.
Yours is just lovely, Jon. I am glad it hs a good home.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16275 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have two 28 ga Model 12's. Lovely little guns, indeed! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beibs hasn't told us who installed the rib and how long the barrel is and whether it has chokes. The stock and forend are outrageous.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nicest model 12 I've seen. Still partial to the ring tail forend.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys
I'm the proud owner of this beautiful model 12 now ..it sports a 22 inch barrel now , and looks like Poly Choke is stamped on the side of rib . Not sure if they installed it or not , but it's a very nice job ..

Original barrel was stamped full , but not sure , probably cylinder bore now ..
I'm thinking of sending it out for Brieley tubes ..

It does have killer wood , and beautiful deep high gloss bluing ..

Bob

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1288 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful wood on that model 12.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bear Cat, congratulations. Now go out and do some work with it and let us see some photos!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16275 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Wow! And I mean WOW. That's one hell of a M-12.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote