Find
Notify
Tools

20 ga SxS recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
There are obviously a lot of folks here on AR that have experience with side-by-sides. I have never owned a side-by-side shotgun, but do have a Browning Citori O/U that I have shot for nearly 20 years.

I am interested in finding the best "bang for the buck" (preferably under $2,000) 20 gauge SxS that meets the following criteria:

- 2 3/4" chambers
- capable of shooting modern factory loads
- splinter forend
- double triggers
- pistol grip stock

I know the CZ Sharptail is an option, but I want double triggers, and I absolutely hate the beavertail forend. I love the looks of older British guns, but have no confidence in my ability to accurately evaluate one. Any suggestions?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little more and 3 inch chambers, but these were good guns.
https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101648120

New England Custom Guns has 2 20 bore AYA, 2 3/4 inch guns $3,700 a piece. One is a single trigger and one is a double trigger. Both have modern proofs, and very English splinter and prince of whales grip.

https://www.newenglandcustomgu...detail.php?prod=085D
Double trigger gun.

Sidelock but 5k all boxes checked

https://www.newenglandcustomgu...ddetail.php?prod=004

Posts: 10775 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try finding a Franchi Highlander. Beautiful well balanced doubles that were made by Benelli I believe. Originally priced to sell for $2800 and can be found for under $2000. I love my 20 ga.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought The Highlander a Single Trigger gun?

I know they are monoblocked. Monoblock is not bad. I just do not like the size and the line.

Posts: 10775 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a Weatherby Athena D'Italia SXS 20 gauge with double triggers, choke tubes, silver coin side plates, Scottish checkering, splinter forearm, shoots modern factory loads. However, it has a 3 inch chamber and an English stock. It was made by Fausti Stefano Arms for Weatherby. I love the gun and it's very accurate. I also have one in 28 gauge. Not sure if they are made anymore. Might have to look for a used one if you might be interested in one. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabram has a new scs the Autumn. Straight hand, monoblock, good splinter forend, 3 inch max proof. It is a single trigger only.

It uses a lock up similar to the VC.

Retail 4K.

https://fabarmusa.com/autumn/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a lot of choices there. A turkish gun is a likely candidate. Dickinson or SKB. Most of the English guns are 2 1/2 in guns. They don't do well with the heavier loads we shoot here. McNab has a nice SKB but it had a straight stock.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think you could find a decent used Browning BSS at that price point.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the FAIR Iside base model.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I suggest looking at the Sauer or the Simson guns.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Holland Royal. Or, a Purdey.
Both pre war, of course.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Cal:

Respectfully, I do not think he can get into those anywhere near 2k.

Also, those guns will be 2 1/2 inch chambers for the most part. He wants 2 3/4, 1 1/8 ounce loads.

I was shopping for 20 gauges this month. I could not find any Simons or Sauer in 20 gague.

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
A used Aya or Grulla might do the trick. Tons of them on gunsinternational site. For the record I have been very happy with them both in 12 gauge and 20 gauge.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
What are the thoughts on the CZs? For the price (~$1050) they seem like a nice option, though I have never put my hands on one. Been looking at a Sharptail in 16ga. I know the 20ga version has an interchangeable choke system.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
What are the thoughts on the CZs? For the price (~$1050) they seem like a nice option, though I have never put my hands on one. Been looking at a Sharptail in 16ga. I know the 20ga version has an interchangeable choke system.

I bought a Bobwhite G2 in 12ga last year. Just a dead simple, affordable SxS with straight stock, double triggers, extractors, commonly available screw in chokes and that plain muddy CZ stock finish. After a thousand or so rounds shot at skeet, trap, five stand and sporting clays it hasn’t done anything untoward and continues to break targets when I point it in the right direction.

Apparently there is an upgraded “Upland” version with color case hardened finish and upgraded Turkish walnut but I haven’t seen one in real life, if I do it will probably follow me home.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Congrats on looking for a SxS. I see an O/U and think skeet shooting Prius driving carrot eater. Now a proper SxS I think bird dogs, pickup trucks and Levi Garrett. For 2k or round abouts you can have an LC Smith, Lefever, Fox, or Parker. And I’m talking some nice grades. You show up with one of those from pre 1930 and drop a double on pheasants you’re the envy of any man who knows guns and birds.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
What about something from Dickinson? I handled those on a few occasions, never shot one, but the criteria you list are met. They make a few grades so you can select your price point.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love hunting with SxSs! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used Simpson or maybe even a Merkel. Or Used AyA or Arietta or Grulla or Sarasqueta. Belgian Guild guns go in that range and that config sometimes and are usually good.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My favorite is an Ugarchia w/ stright stock + splinter forend. I bought my son a BSS when he was 13. I have a citori as well but always go for the S/S's when after birds. No offense but if you want to go cheap + functional on a 1st S/S try a Stevens 311. They perform just as fine as an AYA. There are exceptions of course but the end results are more in cinq with the quality of the shooter over the quality of the gun. A good personal case in point was several years ago we were doing a skeet shoot + this Mexican kid using a single shot 410 cleaned all our clocks. More to that story but you get the point.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
For your price range, I'd take a look at the Dickinson Estate - one or two triggers, automatic ejectors, barrels 26", 28" or 30", longer LOP (14-3/4") than the competitors' short LOPs, built on 20ga frame (~6-1/4 lbs) instead of 12ga frame (~7+ lbs) like some of the competitors in this price range.

Review here: https://shootingsportsman.com/...-arms-estate-review/

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

Exactly.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
For the basic criteria mentioned, all of which are good choices, I think it would be worth it to up your budget a bit. You can get a lot more gun that I think would serve you better and longer if you didn’t limit yourself to the low end of the market, unless you’re willing to get a gun with a lot of noticeable wear and tear.
For the money, I’d be on the lookout for one of the Spanish guns, such as an AyA. I had one for years that I liked, though did sell it a few months ago after finding a dream gun (another 20 gauge SxS) available.
Save a few more bucks and I think you can easily open up your purchase options substantially.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bernadelli or ugartechea

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you decide on a double trigger gun (My preference) make sure you note the LOP. It is measured from the front trigger.
Typically if your acquire a double trigger gun you may want the LOP 3/4" longer than a single trigger gun to fit you equally.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

I have always said real shotguns have two barrels the best ones have them side by side.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anybody is interested I have a Ugartechea model 221, blued, SxS, 20 gauge, 3 inch, 28” barrels, choked Cyl and IC, double triggers, extractors, splinter forend, straight grip, nice wood, 1.5” red silvers pad (it was apparently cut down to youth size at one time and lengthened back to adult size) 14” LOP. 5.8 lbs.
Beautiful little shotgun. It was an impulse buy for me several years ago and I have never fired it. Still in excellent condition.

$875 tyd

I have a few pics on my phone.
Text 3372981840 or email gbegnaud@bellsouth.net if interested

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect little Grouse & Woodcock gun.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Nice Biebs. Always dig the straight stock

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
There are obviously a lot of folks here on AR that have experience with side-by-sides. I have never owned a side-by-side shotgun, but do have a Browning Citori O/U that I have shot for nearly 20 years.

I am interested in finding the best "bang for the buck" (preferably under $2,000) 20 gauge SxS that meets the following criteria:

- 2 3/4" chambers
- capable of shooting modern factory loads
- splinter forend
- double triggers
- pistol grip stock

I know the CZ Sharptail is an option, but I want double triggers, and I absolutely hate the beavertail forend. I love the looks of older British guns, but have no confidence in my ability to accurately evaluate one. Any suggestions?

Take a look at the new Tristan SxS. A lot of bang for the buck. I have a lot of historic English SxS,s, and some are near your price needs.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote