THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    P. Donadio shotgun - Guild gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P. Donadio shotgun - Guild gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
I have acquired a hammerless cross bolt, double trigger shotgun with side clips, marked for smokeless and marked Made in Belgium.

It appears to be a shotgun of high quality (for its time). Action is tight. Double triggers. Automatic safety. (safety goes on when action is opened). 65mm chambers (2-1/2") (marked 12/65 underneath). and lots of other Belgian proof marks I haven't looked up.

The only negative is that the stock was once cut, and then a piece re-added along with a modern recoil pad. (other than the wood not matching, the work was well done)

from what I have been able to learn, the gun was imported by and for a gunsmith in Brooklyn NY named Prospero Donadio who was in business between 1916 and 1941..

I had been using it for Cowboy Action with light 2 3/4" loads without any issues. but now I have a Win 1897 Pump so it's time for the Donadio to find a new home..

Anybody care to offer a guess at the value or can anyone offer any more history or give me some suggestions on direction? Thanks

I'll post pics if someone can tell me where I can host them for free..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I had a local dealer in high end shotguns take a look at this and this is what he gave me....

Maker/Importer: Model Prospero Donadio, Brooklyn, NY
Double barrel side by side 1916 – 1941 12 gauge
lth/choke Boxlock, double trigger, non ejector
27 ¼” Rt. bbl .018” mod With four locking bolts and side clips
Lft. bbl .033” full Sights Front bead
Stock Dimensions Finish 1 5/8” x 2 ¼” x 14 ¼” cast off
Worn checkering on Pistol grip w/splinter forend
Engraving Style/Coverage“P.Donadio” inlayed in gold on top rib
Minimal coverage. Modifications to Original Stock has been cut and a piece added that does not match original wood Also non original recoil pad has been added Overall Condition This gun shows the signs of use but is tight and in excellent mechanical condition and there should be no issue with shooting modern shells. Additional Information: This is a Belgian made gun with all the correct Liege proof marks for both black and smokeless powder shells.The chamber length is marked 65mm (2.5”) but measures 2 5/8” which was a standard 12 ga. chamber length when this gun was imported. I could find no makers mark as it is probably a “Guild Gun” Value $1200

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote