THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    best duck load in a 12ga 2 3/4"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best duck load in a 12ga 2 3/4"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For shooting over decoys or jump shooting small tanks which steel shot is the most lethal. I used Black Cloud last year in a 12ga 2 3/4" #3 with great results. I see there are several new types of shot out there.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ones with a velocity of over 1500fps. I found that high velocity and steel works well.

I like 3s and 2s 4s for the closer stuff

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will start out by saying I hate steel shot and don't use it any more. That said I have shot a lot of ducks with it in the past and before I moved on I found the heaviest loads of #1 of B shot would kill close in birds fairly well. On decoying birds I don't think the high velocity really buys you much, except a lot of recoil.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I kill a lot of Mallards each year. I like 1 1/4oz loads of #2, 3, 4 shot at velocities of 1300-1400fps. I shoot Remington Nitro Steel, Winchester DryLok and Federal WingShok mostly. I don't use promo stuff like Winchester Xpert or Remington Sportsman stuff. I take shots to 40yds and decoying birds. I have not felt any need for shooting the hyper velocity loads or Black Cloud stuff.

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several ducks with my Sauer 12x12x30/06 Drilling.

I have had great results with No 4 Bismuth

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best run I have ever had on decoying ducks was with Federal 1 Oz load of #6 steel. Nineteen ducks for 22 shells. Go figure!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try some Rio's, you wont be disappointed, or Kent Fasteel both of them are the best for your money

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Rio's killed most of these this morning

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt ducks a lot. For tight quarter shooting over dekes about any No4 load works fine. For bigger water and late season birds the fast 2 3/4" or 3" loads of No4 work well as do the fast loads of 3" No3's. For jump shooting I would use the faster loads since there are more variables.

I have found that going with shot sizes larger than No3 produces more work for my labs, with fewer dead birds and more strong swimmers.

The best non lead duck load I have found is the 1 3/8oz, 2 3/4" Kent TungstenMatrix load in No5 shot. Cleanly kills the ducks, also cleanly kills the surprise Canada's that come I to the spread.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Are you guys in the US allowed to shoot lead in 20 gauge, or do you still have to shoot steel?

Just curious as down here, we are allowed to still shoot lead in 16G and 20G (and smaller gauges), but have to shoot Steel in 12G

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you guys in the US allowed to shoot lead in 20 gauge, or do you still have to shoot steel?

As long as you used non toxic shot.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

All legal US duck shooting, regardless of gauge of shotgun, must be done with non-toxic shot, but not necessarily steel.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bismuth, especially in SXS including older shotguns and drillings.
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best 2 3/4" 12 ga duck load "was" 1.5 ounces of lead #4. But that was the good old days.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the funny thing is that bismuth is also quite poisonous metal, especially in the form of dust.

In General the best is between 1/100 and 1 / 96th of the weight of the gun.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually bismuth is used in pepto bismol and is a stomach relief agent.

steel #2's such as the fiocchi 2-3/4" round is adequate for everything out to 40 yds.
I have shot ton's of fiocchi 3" #1's and 2-3/4" #2's and use them for pass, jump, and, decoy shooting.
velocity in the 1400-1450 fps area is about the perfect balance for penetration, pattern, and range.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have used lots of different loads, but always seem to come back to Winchester #2 Drylok

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found #3 shot 1 1/4 oz over decoys deadly.
Winchester Blind Side an Black Cloud both are great loads.
I've also use a lot of Kent in #3s good stuff.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before I gave up on the 12ga and went to a 20, I always used this load, even on decoyed geese:

AA hull, 28.5 grs Herco, RP-12 Wad, 1 1/4 oz #5 lead shot.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote