Find
Notify
Tools

Slugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
I've shot skeet,trap + lots of birds over the years + keep 00 buckshot in my shop shotgun but have never had the need to shoot slugs. My son just picked up a little Stevens 410 single shot. My question is,is it safe to fire slugs in a full choke bbl.?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I've shot skeet,trap + lots of birds over the years + keep 00 buckshot in my shop shotgun but have never had the need to shoot slugs. My son just picked up a little Stevens 410 single shot. My question is,is it safe to fire slugs in a full choke bbl.?

Can you get away with it? Maybe. I prefer Skeet/Cylinder chokes for slugs. Safety first.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks;that's why I asked.My brother in law had to be put in a home as he has M.S. + left all this ammo.He used the 410 slugs in his Taurus Judge.Yes,I agree,safety 1st.Thanks again.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would mic the ID at the choke to see just how small it is relative to a 410 slug OD then decide. Shooting slugs in larger full choked barrels is NOT RECOMMENDED by the manufacturer's because the have no idea what the choke ID's are therefor Lawyer rhetoric...choke ID's can vary all over the place.

Knowing the actual numbers gives you the ability to decide yourself.

Check out some of the shotgun component suppliers like BPI, they have lottsa good info and you can ask THEM the same question.

I have a friend that has a Judge...the 2 1/2" shot-shells didn't impress me much but trying the 3" might have changed my mind...I did have a neat little 410 double, M/F, way back when that did OK with 3" fodder...sure wish I kept it, but being young and dumb...you know...never shot any slugs through it so can't help you there.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Citori in 410 eons ago;great kids gun. I had a Stevens single shot when I was a kid. Back then 410 was the cheap way to go.I say great kids gun but it is competant if the right man is behind it. I shot skeet against a kid a few years ago that waxed us all using a 410 over our 12's,+ 20's.