Find
Notify
Tools

Model 12 vs. Model 31?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I've been a Winchester Model 12 guy since I got my first pump, a 50-year-old 16 gauge -- about 1965. I never paid much attention to early Remington pumps, but a couple of friends swear the Model 31 is every bit the equal of the Model 12. Who here has face time with a Model 31? What do you like about them?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Had both a 20 and 12 gauge Model 31. I'm into shooting clay targets with vintage pumps and have a variety of 'pawn shop rescue guns' that I shoot on a weekly basis.

After many rounds of 5-Stand and Skeet I just couldn't bond with the 31's. Two things that I encountered with both; mine were prone to not picking up round if I short stroked them a smidgen when shooting doubles and if turned ejection port down and cycled ~slow the round being lifted would sometimes fall out. The latter would sometimes happen if I was repostioning my feet transitioning for my next shot.

Encountered this with both guns so apparently it wasn't unique to one. And it doesn't happen when I shoot Model 12's, Ithaca 37's, old 870's, Flite Kings, etc.

They are a well made gun; lots of steel and workmanship from a time gone by. To me the design appears to have inspired the Mossberg 500 action.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Matt, that's good to know. Maybe I just need to find a shop that has some 31s and 12s, handle the 31s and buy a 12 ...
And good for you for rescuing pawn shop pumps. A man after my own heart.

beer

– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
Just my personal opinion and preference, but I like the Model 12 much better than the Model 31. I have a very old 16 gauge Model 12 that is very light weight and a joy to carry. It just balances very well. I also have a much newer Model 12 which is actually a Browning Model 12 copy in 28 gauge. It also balances well and is a joy to carry. I have handled and fired the M31 and I didn't think it was as nice as the Model 12.
Joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill don't forget about the Ithica Model 37.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Twilli, I've had 37s, a 17 and currently a BPS and just don't care all that much for the bottom ejection. I know, goofy.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Bill, I think you'll find when you get to coon-finger a Model 31 you will be impressed with certain mechanical aspects of the 31's. They can be very smooth, but compared to the Model 12 they are a bit muzzle light.

I like the functionality and balance of the early 870's. I'm 10-4 that there are more stampings in the 870's but it's a great design and the early ones had a much better fit/finish to them.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have a M12 20ga skeet gun and 2 M31s, one a 12 skeet, the other a 20, all 3 with solid ribs. The Remingtons are far and away my favorites, truly the Cadillac of pumps.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Found a Model 31 in 16 gauge, modified.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There are several versions of M31s. Some have aluminum TGs, also 2 sizes of TGs. Some later guns had aluminum frames. Different forend styles too.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Picked up the gun today, and I am very pleased. It was made in February of 1949 at the very tail end of Model 31 production, but has steel receiver and trigger guard. The 26-inch barrel is choked improved cylinder. With my sketchy wingshooting skills, that's the right choke, and I have always loved a rat-tail forend.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I have never heard of the 31 being mentioned/considered in the same class/category as the model 12.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The M31 was known as the "ball bearing" pump because they are so smooth. Many, many machined steel parts, over-engineered actually, cost would be prohibitive today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple fellow shooters at my local Trap/Skeet club that use the Rem. Mod. 31 and will say for a pump gun they are the closest to the Win. Mod. 12 in terms of smooth operation and quality build. As mentioned, cost to produce today would be prohibitive for either shotgun and ability to readily source spare parts for either one is more and more difficult.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have owned and used both and consider them to be equals in all respects except one. Dry firing a Model 12 much is generally guaranteed to break the firing pin.The last Model 31 I had I custom stocked so the handling was beyond good.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All things being equal, I'd take a 31 any day.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have and use both and prefer the M-12 in 20 and 16 ga as they are sleeker and better balanced and prefer the M31 in 12 ga as it is lighter and probably a bit slicker operating.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4191 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote