Find
Notify
Tools

16G.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
I just bought another win. model 97 in 16 G.I need a source of 2 1/2" shells.Thanks in advance.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.rstshells.com/

I use them in my combination gun.
They work well.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Just ordered awhile back from RST. Pleasure to do business with.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure its a 2 1/2? As I recall, the old winchester 16's were often 2 5/8.

Posts: 10502 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the European standard for the 16 ga. was 65mm until the 2-3/4 inch pie crimp case came along.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure. I was told that the length was 2.5 but when I first got it I fired a 2 3/4 shell + it functioned just fine.No point in buying specialty shells when standard will work.Any input always welcome.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use the proper length or have a competent gunsmith lengthen the chamber. It is a bottleneck of pressure shooting a 2 3/4 in a 2 1/2. It can be done but it is unwise. Buy some 2 1/2 from RST and be safe. (just my 2 cents)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by basser:
Use the proper length or have a competent gunsmith lengthen the chamber. It is a bottleneck of pressure shooting a 2 3/4 in a 2 1/2. It can be done but it is unwise. Buy some 2 1/2 from RST and be safe. (just my 2 cents)

Actually, the 'bottle neck' theory has been disproven by several studies. The problem is, in fact, that USA SAAMI standards allow higher pressures than most Brit and many other shotgun manufacturers design and proof for. The difference in cartridge hull length between and RST 2-1/2 cartridge and a Winchester AA is about 1/16". This will not intrude on the forcing cones enough to cause pressure spikes or other problems.

I regularly load lower pressure 2-3/4" hulls and use them in my 2-1/2" chambered double guns.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Good to know Alex. Side note on RST shells is-nothing like the smell of burnt paper.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Good to know Alex. Side note on RST shells is-nothing like the smell of burnt paper.

Yes indeed. I love my paper hulled 16 gauge hulls... they feel right and smell right after popping them out of the chambers.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So true. The smell of those + just fired 22s remind me of my childhood.