New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mugica Eibar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Came across one of these today... Never had handled one before. WHen I first picked it up I thought it looked like an old inexpensive AYA....but the stamping on the Barrel said Mugica, Eibar. Which I know is Spanish. The gun is a 12 gauge, 28" barrels. Didn't check chokes. The metal is around 85% with no real major defects...just some worn off bluing around the sharp edges etc...might be closer to 90%. Bores are clean and bright. Everything works and lockup is tight. Safety works.

Straight stock...no pistol grip. The stock is in bad shape...someone homered it and halfway sanded down the checkering and slapped on some spar varnish or something... lots of use/scratches. Original could be brought back but its nothing special and honestly if I bought it I'd send the original wood out and have it duplicated and restock it with a nice bit of Turkish I have hanging around...

WHat say you all? Junk? Solid shotgun worth the effort. Asking price is $650 and I could probably get him down to $575 based on past dealings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that kind of money, why not? Looks like a fun project, especially if the original wood is salvageable.

Having it restocked by a pro will cost many times more than the gun is worth.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If lump barrels, ejectors, and disked strikers then maybe. Otherwise no. You can find many no-name or low-name mono-blocked, non-ejector Spanish guns with good wood for $500-$1000.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 dollar truck gun
.JMHO

Posts: 81 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a couple of them here. They are a good solid gun! the ones we had were choked 3/4 and full

I really like d them, but on saying that I would twitch at paying more than 500nzd, so maybe 350 US for one unless it was in perfect condition.

Posts: 4212 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jose Mugica was mainly a shotgun mfg in Eibar in the 1930's. Did biz till the mid 50's. Perhaps longer.
He was also a retailer of many other Spanish and Euro mfg firearms.

His name is more widely known to Spanish semiauto pistol collectors with is connection to Llama pistols.

He was a very large mover of the Llama pistol line in the time he was in business. Most of his sales were to Asia and to S.America.

He sold so many Llama pistols that Llama made and marked the pistols with his name 'Mugica' and gave them a separate Model designation from what the identicle Llama pistol used.

His shotguns were typical Boxlock SxS like you have considered average quality utilitarian grade guns.