Find
Notify
Tools

20-gauge autoloader question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am contemplating the purchase of a 20-gauge autoloader for upland bird hunting. I have shot the Beretta A391 and liked it, but I am curious as to others experiences with various makes.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with a Franchi 48AL 20ga for pheasant, chukar, and quail. Handles federal prairie storms and Winchester target loads with ease. It's a dream to carry at 5.5lbs and doesn't beat one up too badly.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tools

I hunt quail chukar and pheasant with a Beretta 391 and a Benelli Ultra Light. Both are 20 gauge and perform very well. The Benelli is 5.2 pounds and is my go to chukar gun. The Beretta is 6 pounds and I just used it on a Baja quail hunt. Both are very reliable.
lb

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
There are several really good 20 gauges that will never give you a problem with field loads. So it comes down to what feels best in your hands, sort of like what shoes feel best on your feet.

I shoot my best with an 11-48 in 20 gauge. Also have a Browning B-80 (steel frame) that has been very good. I seem to do better with a shotgun that isn't super light, especially muzzle-light. Were I worried about a couple ounces of weight while walking through a field I'd skip seconds at dinner the night before Smiler

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mostly shoot SXSs, but I use a 20GA Benelli M2 as a backup gun for pheasant when the weather is bad. I just switched to a Benelli 20GA featherweight for a 3/4 pound weight saving. The Benellis are the only autoloading shotguns I own and I am extremely pleased with their performance. There is a 12GA M2 tactical with 00 Buck a couple of feet away from where I sleep. That tells you how much I trust a Benelli.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Benelli Legacy. But the recoil is a bit harsher than the Beretta.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several. I love the Benelli Legacy for upland birds. I have a Benelli Cordoba that, after being sent back to the factory, is fantastic for high volume. I have a Browning O/U. It is a beautiful but I prefer the autos. My kids have different Benellis. I forget which models. I like them but not as much as mine.

Posts: 11944 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave, I recently bought the Weatherby SA-08 in 28 gauge. Haven't shot it yet, but look forward to putting it to good use on desert quail. Randy Wakeman has good things to say about this gun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have both a Rem 1100 and a Beretta 301 in 20 ga. I like both of them, but the 1100 seems to have the lighter recoil with any given load.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is your search limited to just autoloaders? Or are you open to other possibilities?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot most of the auto loaders, I like the Rem 1100 but the 870 is a better gun IMO..my preference will always be the mod. 12 pump, but a lot of that is nostalgia and the fact that they are so well built they last forever, and resale is a money maker..I like the autos as they are slim and trim especially in 20 and 28 ga.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like Beretta auto-loaders. I also like Browning Golds pretty well. But I really like the Remington 1100 autoloader the best. Really soft shooting and handles well. The older ones had a lower comb, which I need to shoot well. The Beretta's stock comb heights are adjustable, which is very nice. And the Beretta's are slightly more reliable than the Remingtons. If you are looking at Berettas, the A400 is a great gun, but the older 391 and the 390 are very reliable, balanced, and soft-shooting also.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
At the lodge I work with in Cordoba, we use Beretta 391s and A400s for the autos. Both great guns. The 391 is one I use at home when I don’t use a two popper. However, they are only found on the used market now. I used to shoot a Montefeltro, but it was finicky with cycling different loads. It took time getting accustomed to the safety on the Beretta being forward of the trigger, but it is a more natural movement, especially mounting on a flushing covey.

One knock on the A400 is that a $12 piece of plastic that runs as a sleeve along themagazine tube is prone to break in Argentina. It’s sad that a $1,500 gun here ($2,500 after all is said and done down there) is shut down for a $12 part, but it’s unlikely you’ll shoot that kind of volume stateside (thousands and thousands per day). That being said, we are transitioning to Benellis.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my doubles, but a Browning Auto-5 will always have a place in my heart, my duck boat, and any upland cover. Any vintage, FN or Miroku, or even the Remington model 11--same patent. Lots of them available, they last forever, and they've never been outclassed.
windy

Posts: 39 | Location: far from God's country | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I work as a gunsmith at a Remington, Browning, Winchester, Beretta, Benelli repair center. I can honestly tell you that we rarely see a Benelli, Beretta, Franchi, or early Rem 1100/870 for repair. The shop stays clogged with later 1100's and 11-87's and a plethora of Browning A5's(new model) with feeding/timing problems.

First decide if you want a square back or round back receiver. If square back then find a vintage Browning Light 20 Auto 5 or Franchi 48. If round back look for an early Remington 1100. Remington M48's are great but parts are running out.

Posts: 3665 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as 20 ga goes, I've shot a benelli legacy most recently. Can't say I've had any issues with it and it's pretty light.

Remington 1100, have one. It shoots softly, but unless it's kept pretty clean, I occasionally have issues with it.

Inherited a Franchi. Seems to work well, but my uncle had cut the stock really short so he could shoot it from his wheelchair better, so I can't hit with it for beans.

I have my old first gun ever that is s Smith and Wesson 1000. It recoils lightly, is about as reliable as the Remington, but doesn't fit me all that well, so I don't shoot it real well.

I've also used a Beretta auto a couple times on hunts where it was provided. The ergonomics are a bit different than my other guns, so I had issues with the safety, but other than that, it had no hiccups but seemed a bit heavier than the Benneli. Shot quite softly.

If you want my opinion on them, in essence... in order.

The Benelli is the better field gun due to its light weight. The issue with ultra light recoiling loads will not be an issue with hunting. This is the one I use the most.

The Beretta would be a better choice if you are doing high volume shooting, or you are more into clay games. I don't have one, but would get one if I was planning on high volume shooting and that was what they provided where I was going to get the ergonomics down.

The Remington is the one to get if you want to spend the least money. Value wise, it is able to do what the higher end guns do well enough for a lot less money.

I don't think you will find the Smith anymore, it's pretty, and does work, but for some reason I can't hit well with it.

The Franchi is about a Bennelli, a bit less fit and finish, but similar operation. If you find one for enough less than the Benneli, and it fits you, it's OK.

Posts: 10573 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning auto 5 20g Made in Belgium tu2
Old gun but wonderful to shoot !

one of us
posted Hide Post
remington made a 1100LT with plastic stock. I have one. Nice gun with choke tubes as I recollect.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Browning auto 5 20g Made in Belgium tu2
Old gun but wonderful to shoot !

AGREE!!! I had a 1920's vintage humpback in 20 ga and it was a dream to carry in the field.. light enough to carry all day, old enough not to worry about it taking a beating in the brush or weather, and 100% reliable... A friend of mine talked me out of it several years ago and it is one of the few guns I regret selling.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1958 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta 391 hands down.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older 1100 LtWt, picked it up for $250 a few years ago and would hate to be without it now!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for a used Beretta 303 or 390.
Still have both. Sold the 391.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just added a Benelli Ethos 28 ga to my stable. 5 lb, 5 oz. it has a 3” chamber but I doubt I’ll shoot any. It shoots 3/4 oz loads without a hiccup. I barely feel any recoil. Not much more with RST 1oz loads.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote