THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    high performance steel for wildfowl?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

high performance steel for wildfowl?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted
What do you use gents?

I have a 3" chambered, steel proofed gun and am looking to shoot ducks and geese (up to the size of a Canada goose) on the foreshore, any help and suggestions appreciated.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a big stash of bismuth I am slowly whittling down. The aging and death on my retriever has greatly cut back my waterfowl hunting. I work with a guy who goes to ND each fall and he swears by Black Cloud. He shoots his 20 ga more often than 12 ga now days.

Hope that helps,

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I’m not a fan of any steel loads. I went on a hunt that required flying there and the outfit provided steel shells. They were a mix of something called spectra shot and federal black cloud steel. While the black cloud worked better than the lower velocity steel, I ended up crippling and using 3-4 times as many shells to get my ducks compared to my bismuth or ITX handloads.

As I understand it, Kent makes their ammo there.

Their faststeel line is as good as any steel loads (damning with faint praise, I know...) but their tungsten matrix is top shelf high performance ammo, and their bismuth loads are good for non steel proofed guns. Not real high performance stuff, but better than any steel load in my experience.

Steel has its place for close shots with reasonable volume of shooting, but if all you are going to do is shoot 1-2 boxes a year, you will be much happier with tungsten matrix or bismuth shells, especially if you are used to lead shot performance.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using Heavy Metal #3s on ducks. Very effective. My goose hunting is low volume so I shoot Tungsten Matrix #2s which are expensive but as good or better than lead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can afford them, without doubt, hevi-shot.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hevi-Metal by Hevi-shot...

#3 or 4's for ducks. They will also take a big Canada outta the sky no problem as long a you're not sky busting'.

Hevi metal

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of ducks and geese each fall, usually mixed bags of mallards and medium sized snow geese over decoys at relatively close ranges, 30-40 meters, but some farther pass shooting for big Canada geese too. I have come to prefer 2-3/4" loads for almost all of my goose shooting. Speed kills with steel shot, and does not blow patterns like it does when you try to drive lead shot too fast. Anything over 1500 fps is your goal. Kent Fassteel is a reliable load. Kent's 12 ga. 2-3/4", 1-1/16 oz of #1 shot has been a great game getter for me. I have shot several hundred geese with that load. Yes, heavy 3" loads of bismuth and tungsten kill a few more birds a little farther away, IF you can hit them far away, but if the birds are within 50 meters you don't need anything more.

Posts: 231 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Anyone with experience using 12G Eley high performance steel ammo?

We have 2-3/4" Eley VIP Hyperspeed Steel 31 grams at 1620fps and also two 3" loads from Eley, VIP Lightning Steel 32 grams at 1640fps and 36 grams at 1450fps.

I have used the 2-3/4" 32 gram Kent Fasteel load at 1425fps but not their 3" shell with same 32 grams load at 1560fps.

It seems those with a lot of experience using steel on water fowl and geese say that 1500fps or better for steel shot is the aim of the game.

Here in NZ last year some batches of the Eley 3" Lightning Steel 36 gram load were recalled due to it not ejecting properly from some auto shotguns and also was a very dirty burner. I note it is on sale again building up to the opening of this years game-bird season, first weekend May, so presumably Eley have fixed the problem.

I'm interested in the 2-3/4" 31 gram Hyperspeed Steel load at 1620fps as it is selling at the same price per slab (250 rounds) as the 2-3/4" Kent Fasteel load.

My Miroku O/U is chambered 2-3/4" and proofed for HP steel but I also use a 3" chambered gas operated semi-auto gun. Prefer to stick with 2-3/4" for interchangeability. Have shot half a dozen 3" steels in the semi but didn't notice any better performance compared with the Kent.

I'm old school lead and have a very favourite re-load using #7 shot at 1300fps with open chokes. Can knock duck, geese and swan down leading for the head. Have clocked up big tallies but alas can't use lead any more over water, well can't risk using it Wink

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems those with a lot of experience using steel on water fowl and geese say that 1500fps or better for steel shot is the aim of the game

Yes I shoot Winchester's 1550fps loads and they work well.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
It seems those with a lot of experience using steel on water fowl and geese say that 1500fps or better for steel shot is the aim of the game

Yes I shoot Winchester's 1550fps loads and they work well.

I agree , I shoot winchester x-pert 1550 loads and they have killed a lot of geese . I shoot 12guage 3 inch #2's. Browning A5 28inch modified choke...and leave my 10 guage home !

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Longwalker. 2 3/4 shot shells are faster and with steel, speed kills. I keep my shots to 45 yards and use the old adage, go down one choke and increse the shot size from what you used when using lead shot. IC and 2s or 3s for shot. My lead is decreased and I am having more ducks dead on the ground.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ghubert. I am a member of the UK "Stalking Directory" Forum. A couple of the members are Danes. Where as you know lead shot is totally banned for ALL feathered game shooting. In fact they tell me that even for clay shooting (excepting only skeet and FITASC) it is also banned.

Might I suggest, my friend, that you join us there and post a thread with that same question? The Danes will have a good idea and us Brits on the forum will at least recommend loadings available in he UK.

FWIW I only shoot bismuth if I have to shoot non-toxic shot. Other than my pair of 16 bores and my son's own game gun I don't own a gun made after WWII or that is chambered for anything other than the traditional 2 1/2" aka 65mm case length so steel isn't a option. And in fact I fond that bismuth patterned and killed better than lead.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my last goose hunt I used Win Blind Side 3.5 inch loads (BB) and it crumpled them. Granted, I was hunting in a grain field and the shots were not that long; think I had an IC choke in my SX3.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using these https://www.hullcartridge.co.u.../solway-steel-magnum in number 3 shot.

Through a Franchise Affinity with 1/2 choke. Brings down ducks and geese on the foreshore as far as I can hit them, and everything seems to be dead in the air.

They seem to be much better than earlier generations of steel and non toxic shot.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote