New
Find
Notify
Tools

410 @ skeet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just started shooting a 410 for skeet, after coming across an almost new Browning 525 sporting gun at a price I couldn't pass up.

My transition is a little hampered by the fact that my other two clays guns are K guns with adjustable stocks; a K80 and a K20. So not only am I adjusting to the 410, but I'm also adjusting to a much different gun.

In any event, it's been a real kick and I'm having a lot of fun. Smoking a clay with a 410 really feels good. Wish I had tried it sooner.

Gonna have to start loading, though. Factory 410 is not cheap by any means.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .410 can be fun, but given its patterning, the slightest error means a missed bird...

Truly an experts choice. Fun to use to handicap yourself with others or to shoot with like skilled shooters. Frustrating as heck with guys who are a little better than you...

As to reloading it, given the volumes and sizes to it, it's much more touchy in terms of getting a good looking shell but it really does save dough, it just takes me twice or more longer to load each shell than say a 12 ga.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I love shooting skeet with a 410 - with a field gun and Full choke!

I used the same gun for dove shooting.

Great fun.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skeet and 410?? An oxymoron in my case!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed: Full choke? I"m shooting Thursday. Will have to give that a try.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love shooting skeet with my model 42 Winchester 410

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, all I have is a Revelation SS.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Only way to shoot skeet with a 410 is to forget it is a 410 and shoot it like a 12 ga.

Same lead same everything.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
I'm the guy that comes out of the field after hunting dove with one dove in my empty shotgun shell box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting skeet with a 410 is a blast, find a light or carrier barrels with tube's for your k 80 and your set for all gauge's.

Have fun

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a 96/100 at a skeet match in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago. Followed up with a 98 about a week later in practice. It is a lot of fun to shoot the little gun. In my case the gun is not so little, a 10 pound Perazzi.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not skeet, but certainly challenging. I hunt doves with a Beretta O/U and it is a blast.
I never really kept track of the shells per bird on the 410 vs bigger gauges, but it take quite a few more shells in 410 to get the job done, in my case anyway.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see somebody shoot mt Winchester mod 36 shotgun at clays or birds. It would be challenging.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just saw this thread. I like shooting American skeet with a 410. I have a tube set and shoot the 410 and 28ga. the most. As to full choke, that is the way to go if you can. There was a legendary shooting coach many years ago who coached at St. Simon's Island or Sea Island (can't remember which) who shot full choke. Also, if you search the web there is a paper out there somewhere that, based on mathematical modelling, said that full choke was the best. Makes sense to me. If you are on the bird, you will hit it hard with a 410. If you are off then it is just another lucky hit! Having said that, a windy day will drive you nuts! As another poster has pointed out, there is a tendency with the 410 to think that you have to be more precise, and that will kill you as well.
Personally I would not hunt birds with a 410. There is no need and I don't think you are doing the bird any favors by wounding it. Use enough gun! Remember you heard it first here!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Shot a 96/100 at a skeet match in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago. Followed up with a 98 about a week later in practice. It is a lot of fun to shoot the little gun. In my case the gun is not so little, a 10 pound Perazzi.

Fine shooting!!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Customstox that is indeed fine shooting. Older member of our club uses a Win. Mod. 42 and for doubles you would think it is an autoloader he is so skilled with it. He does hold with the theory that you shoot it just like you would a 12 gauge. It is a rare time that he drops more than 2 birds but he has been shooting that same shotgun for number of decades. It is a pleasure to watch him go to work on the skeet field.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote