Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel Feres Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Happy Thanksgiving all.

Unfortunate for me, I was asked to determine the value of this shotgun of a family member who passed earlier this year.. I can find exactly zero fingertip information on-line, so. I thought I would bring the question here to see if the collective minds of the membership can come to my rescue.. Here's what I got..

As New Merkel Feres made in the GDR (as stamped)20ga. S/S with DT No frills gun, minimal engraving, case color side plates, White Bead, straight stock, plastic butt plate. I would call it a field grade gun. I haven't taken a look at the flats yet. I do know it was made in East Germany as the GDR stamp. It's a nice looking no frills gun... I really like it myself. But I'm sure it would be out of my budget right now..

Thank you all..

MM

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't be of much help to you, but mentioning side plates leads me to ask if they are just that, plates and not true side locks?? I own two Merkel over and under shotguns and they are box lock models. A Merkel true side lock generally will be a higher priced firearm. Typically a new Merkel will be stiff to open and the good thing is they will still be that way several years from now also, very serviceable shotguns.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Side plates to me is just the sides of an action.. After your reply I realized my description was totally generic.. It is a box lock.What little I know of doubles, is pretty much what I've picked up from this site.. Also I Typo'd the GDR and will correct.. I do now have pics of the flats.. In my studies, I found a few Simpson Suhl's in 12ga. Made on same action. Exact right down to the engraving and Suhl proof marks..

MM

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Ken at Kebco or his son would probably be the place to go. They import many used Simpson/Merkel double shotguns and sell them here. They could give you an accurate value.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote