New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-toxic shot for full chokes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a couple of older shotguns, a Winchester O/U, Browning A5 Lightweight, Remington 870 that are all full choke barrels - pre-steel requirement. I have been seeing some new non-toxic shot products that claim to be softer than steel. Can tghey be used in these full choke barrels?

Do any of you have recommendations for use with these shotguns that can save me from investing hundreds of dollars on choke systems for these shotguns?

Posts: 53 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
alot of the non toxic shot that is being produced now other than steel are basically lead substitutes meaning that it can be shot from the older shotguns although some of the prices out there for the ammo is pretty pricy.down here in new zealand we pay around $150 to $170 for 250 rounds of steel in 2 3/4" and i have seen some of this lead substitute ammo for $75 and you only get 25 shots Eeker hence the reason it doesn't really sell. i'm afraid about the only thing you can do is probably do is buy a shotgun that will take steel as i'm assuming that you are probably not going to want to cut your barrels down.alot of guys down here got caught out like this down here in the transistion from lead to steel .hope things work out for you and don,t hurt the pocket to much lol

Posts: 65 | Location: South Taranaki,New Zealand | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
Bismuth can.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote