THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Lasik for competitive trap shooting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lasik for competitive trap shooting?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Have a friend who shoots trap and is wondering if Lasik is a good option for getting rid of glasses? Are there any other suggestions?

TIA!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7760 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I would suggest that your friend do some serious research on LASIK before he takes the plunge. There seem to be a significant amount of side effects from this surgery (as with it's predecessor radial keratotomy). Also he needs to know what is 'wrong" with his eyes right now eg. astigmatism etc.
What problem is he having with his glasses? I shoot bullseye pistol and I told the eyedoc (for glasses) that I wanted to be able to focus on the front sight, held up hy arm and told him to add 6" to the end of my arm for the focal point! Your friend my be having to shoot out of the "top" of his lenses, if so, this can be adjusted.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had LASIK surgery about 20 years ago. It is hard to quantify results, but my impression is, post surgery my ability to pick up contrast has diminished pretty significantly. Would I do it again, yes. But for trap shooting it did not help and for sporting clays and live pigeons it hurt.
Another thing I have noticed is late in the day a quail below the skyline has a pretty good chance of seeing another day.

Posts: 716 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I had lasik 16 years ago, and the only side effect is I got a slight astigmatism.

Over all it has not affected my shooting at all.

Do I have any regrets?

Not at all.

I am glad I did it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66869 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
some of the best money I spent was having lasik done 15 years ago so now.

Posts: 19339 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why does he not use contact lenses?

I did all my trap shooting wearing contacts, and did quite well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66869 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had two lasik surgeries. I see better now than I ever had.

But results may vary.

Most common side effects are halos around lights at night, but you get used to that.

Certainly glad I had mine. I believe I read somewhere were Tiger Woods had the surgery done back when he was at the top of his game.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote