THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    FOX DE Grade - restoration photos added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FOX DE Grade - restoration photos added
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
I have recently acquired a 1913 Fox DE grade shotgun. All of the dimensions, features etc letter correctly as stated by Mr. Callahan, the Fox arms historian, in the letter of provenance obtained from him. The curious thing about this gun is that the breech ends of the barrels are not engraved. Every other high grade Fox I have seen has had scroll engraving on the barrels. Is this a concern? All other markings appear to be correct to the period. The gun is currently being completely restored by Doug Turnbull.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Contact someone at www.foxcollectors.com

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not all graded Fox guns will have engraving on the bbls.
You could request and get most any thing you wanted including changes in the standard engraving pattern.
I've seen a couple C grades and D grades with out bbl engraving.
Not everything done to the gun will necessarily be listed on the 'card' they find for the particular gun,,and that is what they are,,small index size cards with the gun build info on it much hand written and hard to read.

The other possibility is a replacement set of bbls from an A grade numbered to match your gun. Check the font size and style of the ser# on the bbl set with tha ton the frame and forend. See if they are stamped with the same set/style of # stamps. Check for any signs of removing an old number and adding a new one.
Check the fit of the bbl to the frame edges at the breech. Should fit with no high and low spots around the breech as they were filed and fitted as one at the factory when made. A replacement set from another gun is a long, long shot to match up there for a fine fit though they can be made to lock up just fine. The metal to metal fit around the breech to the frame is a give-away of a replacement.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2152hq:
Not all graded Fox guns will have engraving on the bbls.
You could request and get most any thing you wanted including changes in the standard engraving pattern.
I've seen a couple C grades and D grades with out bbl engraving.
Not everything done to the gun will necessarily be listed on the 'card' they find for the particular gun,,and that is what they are,,small index size cards with the gun build info on it much hand written and hard to read.

The other possibility is a replacement set of bbls from an A grade numbered to match your gun. Check the font size and style of the ser# on the bbl set with tha ton the frame and forend. See if they are stamped with the same set/style of # stamps. Check for any signs of removing an old number and adding a new one.
Check the fit of the bbl to the frame edges at the breech. Should fit with no high and low spots around the breech as they were filed and fitted as one at the factory when made. A replacement set from another gun is a long, long shot to match up there for a fine fit though they can be made to lock up just fine. The metal to metal fit around the breech to the frame is a give-away of a replacement.

Thank you so much for the information you provided above. This is much more information, and a lot less acrimonious judgement than I got when I posted the same question on the FOX collectors site. I am confident from the barrel markings that the barrels are original.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The gun is currently being completely restored by Doug Turnbull.

Does it matter if the barrels are a replacement or original.

Or what it was before the restoration what you end up with a very nice useable restoration.

After restoration it well never be as it came from the factory.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admiral:

Sit-Rep?

These projects show both a love and respect for fine, historical guns. I hope than when the restoration is finished, you have exactly what you envisioned when you purchased the original gun. And I hope you'll share some before and after pictures with us.

Best to you.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Here are a few photos of my restored Fox DE grade. I think Doug Turnbull's folks did a fine job on it. I found it strange that when I spoke with them at DSC, including Doug Turnbull himself, they could have cared less about me or this gun. I would have thought they would have shown more interest in this rare Fox shotgun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glorious restoration!

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very, very, classic American shotgun in beautiful condition. Would say the artisans, craftsmen of Turnbull did seem to care for the work they did on your shotgun and perhaps the owner and staff see such beautiful firearms routinely prevented them from becoming excited about it whereas the average guy drools over such a work of art, just guessing.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, subsailor74. That's a beautiful shotgun. I hope it gives you both pleasure in the field and pride of ownership.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I don't even particularly care for shotguns, but that one is very damn nice.

Mike

Posts: 21091 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote