Find
Notify
Tools

Shopping for a new shottie
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted
Ok gentleman I have a question that is sure to garner some chatter. I have some money, and am looking to replace my old FIE Citori knock-off with something a little nicer… I’m looking for an 12ga. O/U with 30’ bdl’s, POW grip and a Schnabel forend. Oh, yes, a vintage long tang Superpose would be great. Budget: as of today about $1500 USD and by summer I’ll be up over 2000. (No, this is not a lot of money but what do you want from a school teacher.) What would you all recommend?

To a point you can never have too much horsepower!
Hauptjager

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hauptjager,
I appreciate the details; what you got, what you want, and budget. With 1,500 you should have no problem finding a pre-65ish Superposed - most common out there in the config you want are late 50's Lighting trap guns. The Broadways generally have full pistol grips. The key to buying one of these older target guns is to make sure the gun isn't mechanically used up. The best description I've heard for determining a used up Super is it's "floppy" when you open it. Most of the target guns are pretty good looking on the exterior as they don't get dragged out into the bush. If you can find a 30" field gun, IMO, it's even better; the guts are usually in better shape and the exterior is what's beat up.

With your leftover $ you can get the chokes opened, or next summer you can get them tubed by Briley with thin walls. (I've done both and I change tubes so infrequently that I wouldn't spend the big bucks again on Brileys - but they are very cool).
For example on Super prices:I recently bought a 63 Lighting Trap SP w/32" barrels for $1,050 and it's OK in the floppy dept - not tight and new but OK. The issue with that gun for reduced price is it's restocked with a hideous Fajen design buttstock from the early 70's. I shoot a 15.5" LOP so restocking is part of the plan.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas,
BT

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your post. Guns America is loaded with Super’s, now just to find one. Are there any “modern†shotgun makers that could touch the Super?

Hauptjager

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hauptjager:
Ok gentleman I have a question that is sure to garner some chatter. I have some money, and am looking to replace my old FIE Citori knock-off with something a little nicer… I’m looking for an 12ga. O/U with 30’ bdl’s, POW grip and a Schnabel forend. Oh, yes, a vintage long tang Superpose would be great. Budget: as of today about $1500 USD and by summer I’ll be up over 2000. (No, this is not a lot of money but what do you want from a school teacher.) What would you all recommend?

For what uses?

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Forget fancy. Get a Benelli. BOOM

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Living in Hawaii on the Big Island we do a good bit of “upland†bird and some turkey hunting. We have some quail, but mostly, chucker, franklins, Urakals Franken, and Pheasants. I do shout some trap and skeet. (I really should shout more, to improve my bird shouting…) Any thought you folks have would be great.
Thank you in advance.

Hauptjager

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy asked a right question. Let me ask you a little less important question. Why does it have to be a Schnabel fore end? I love the Schnabel fore end - but on rifles. Frankly, I don't remember ever seeing a Schnabel fore end on an American shotgun. Perhaps you might like a splinter fore end? - and I only saw those on doubles. Just asking.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
To be honest the foreend is the most minor issue. I really want the round knob (POW) grip, as apposed to the American style pistol grip. Razini and some European makers do put the Schnabel forend on…Although I know this is blasphmie, I did see a old Merkal that had a “Bavarian†stock on it… I shout such a stock on my big game gun, and love it. I wonder if such a stock would help me get over shouting with my head up when shotgunning?

Hauptjager

one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Citori models are still awfully good.

I can't find one with the POW, 30" barrels, and a Schnabel. All the 30" guns seem to have full pistol grips. And the Lightning models max out at 28" barrels. They're heavy barrels, though, so they swing better than a lighter gun with the same barrel length would. And there's a Citori Lightning Grade I with a POW and a Schnabel if you could live with the 28" barrels.

Seems to me the new Citori can be found starting at under $1,200 still.

Steve

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote