THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Does anyone recognize this grade/model?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone recognize this grade/model?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,
I've had this Browning Citori for a few years. It's of Japanese manufacture, with shorter barrels and English stock. I think it was originally called an 'Uplander' or 'Upland Special', but I don't know for sure. It's in 20ga.

I think that this grayed receiver with the little bit of scene on it might make it slightly higher than standard in grade. But, again... I don't know.

What do I have?

Posts: 1300 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
It was made by Miroku who also produce and market the same or similar models to the Browning under their own name. Does your gun have the 'tulip' forend and interchangeable chokes?

Miroku made O/U shotguns, Miroku, Browning and Winchester are extremely well made using best steel and fine wood fitted to metal and oil finished. They will last a lifetime or two if looked after properly i.e. cleaned and hinge points lightly lubed with a good EP grease.

Have included some info below re steel shot use and dating Miroku made shotguns.

All hunting or sporting shotguns (over-and-under or semi-auto guns) by Browning, Winchester and Miroku fitted with the original chokes (Invector, Steel Invector Plus, Stainless steel Invector Plus, Teague, Briley, Midas, Diamond, Signature chokes) can fire "high performance" steel shot cartridges.

Wondering how you can date your Miroku/Browning shotgun?
This is actually very straightforward. All Miroku/Brownings have two code letters in the serial number:
Z=1; Y=2, X=3, W=4, V=5; T=6; R=7; P=8, N=9, M=0
Therefore a gun with PN in the serial number was made in 1989.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Upland special

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Miroku made O/U shotguns, Miroku, Browning and Winchester are extremely well made

The Winchester 101 O/U was made by Olin-Kodensa, not Miroku. I don't know if Miroku may have subsequently made some of the Winchester-branded shotguns. Kodensa also marketed shotguns (and rifles) under the brand name "Nikko", and a Winchester 101 clone sold by Sears Roebuck.

I've owned both the Kodensa-made 101 and several Miroku-made shotguns and have found them all to be well-built and very serviceable. Never had a problem with any of them.

Another Japanese shotgun manufacturer is SKB, who also made/makes good shotguns. Actually, I haven't found a poorly-made Japanese shotgun. You'll have to go to Russia, China, or some lower-end manufacturers in Spain, Italy, or Turkey to find those. The Turkish shotguns are pretty decent for the money, while Spain and Italy produce both some of the best and some of the poorest in shotguns.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Upland Special. I have one in standard/field grade and it’s probably the 20
I reach for if not going 28.

It’s weight and balance are hard to beat. Mine is fixed M over IC, but that is what I prefer.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understood this to be the Upland Special, but was unsure if there was more than one grade within that series.

I want to think I had another Upland Special years ago that was just plain blue, not grey with the scene.

I could be remembering wrong, though.

Posts: 1300 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote